rearmost, sear axle screw for 12 g Sterlingworth

This forum is to be used to post A.H. Fox Gun parts and pieces from orphaned guns you own or you are searching for. This forum is NOT to be used to sell ANYTHING including complete guns or gun parts. This forum is NOT a marketplace but a bulletin board. All contacts between individuals are to be made through the forum PM system. No prices are to be posted. The main intent here is to marry parts with the original gun and to celebrate that reunion.
WmGT

rearmost, sear axle screw for 12 g Sterlingworth

Post by WmGT »

Hello! would anyone happen to know where i could find a rearmost, sear axle screw for my S x S 12 ga Fox Sterlingworth? I found it was missing when i was disassembling for cleaning and refinishing Thank you
bbman3

Re: rearmost, sear axle screw for 12 g Sterlingworth

Post by bbman3 »

I will see if i can scare one up,give me a few days. Bobby
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

What you refer to as an "axle" is properly called the sear pin. The set screw is used to keep the pin from drifting while in use and Fox used at least two different diameter screws during early and late manufacturing eras.

Finding a one with a good slot that matches your frame threads can be a challenge. Hopefully Bobby can scare up one of each diameter/thread pitch but if not an expedient is to drill and tap slightly oversize and use a commercial cone point set screw with a socket head (so-called Allen head) that's more easily removed in the future. Just be sure the screw when seated is flush or slightly below the frame surface otherwise the trigger plate won't fully seat. That’s a common issue on Foxes that have been worked on by home fellas. frank
Aan
bbman3

Post by bbman3 »

PM me your address and i will mail you a couple. Bobby
abner

Post by abner »

You're a good man Bobby, not too many members can or would do what you just offered this man. I thank you for your kindness. :D
Ralph
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

abner wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:25 pm You're a good man Bobby, not too many members can or would do what you just offered this man. I thank you for your kindness. :D
Well deserved kudos to Bobby.

Similar feedback might be given to those very few who've been offering up technical help here for years but it's so rare when a member will recognize that. frank
Aan
DarylC

Post by DarylC »

Frank, I for one appreciate your expertise and willingness to share it here for all to benefit. Thanks.
Owning a Fox is not a spectator sport.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Thanks to the few gents with the thumbs up emoji.

More comments to build on my reply yesterday: Said another way, is spending time to answer answer tech questions or to proffer tech information for the good of the members, any less valuable than sending a small Fox part to help someone? Sadly it seems to me that many - perhaps most - members have a mentality wherein they never make time to post anything themselves, they expect to be educated or entertained by few men here and to make matters worse they will rarely acknowledge their contributions. Is it any wonder that so many who used to write practical Fox shooting and tech info here have gotten to be tired of doing that and stopped posting, or have gone away?
frank
Aan
Maggiemollie

Post by Maggiemollie »

Frank, you have my sincere thanks for all your help. Of all the SxS sites, I personally have found the Fox site to be the most user friendly dor sharing info. The Parker site is excellent too but this site is like the mom and pop store. I do get the frustration and someday I hope to acquire enough knowledge to post replies. Just aren't there yet.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

This thread has been a great segue into the need for technical posts. Personally, I have been the beneficiary of countless posts from Frank and several other contributors. To all of you, a sincere thank you.

On several occasions I have gone back into the archives and read old newsletters. I’m always amazed at the technical and historical information found in those early issues. There is a lot of knowledge out there. Kudos to all that contribute.
Brian Dudley

Post by Brian Dudley »

The lock screws used on the fax guns are all the same regardless of position. There are 4 of them used on the gun.
,Brian Dudley
harry gietler

Post by harry gietler »

deleted by Harry
Last edited by harry gietler on Thu Jul 04, 2024 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Brian is a very knowledgeable gunsmith and I greatly respect his expertise. He is correct that the large majority of Foxes have a # 5 American National machine screw thread in the frame for the set screws that keep the sear pin and the hammer pin from drifting, and the same # 5 thread for both set screws in the nut that secures the lever spindle = total of (four). However I've seen some earlier Foxes where the factory drilled & tapped for a larger # 6 Amer Nat thread for both the sear and hammer pins (just those two) and not including the ones in the lever spindle nut.

frank
Aan
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

So Harry this makes 6 posts here since 2018 when you registered as a user. Was this just an academic question on the screws or are you trying to work on a Fox?

Another question back to you: per your posts on another site you relented and were coming to Hausmann's, asked about camping details, asked Sarah if you could get a pardon for cookies, etc. What happened?

frank
Aan