A.H. Fox Very Pistol question

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Brian

A.H. Fox Very Pistol question

Post by Brian »

Fox Very Pistol
I have an original (not lined to 10 Ga) Very Pistol by A.H. Fox.
Planning on selling it. but I am trying to find what it is classified as by ATF. Anyone know if it is considered a handgun or not?
any help would be appreciated
Brian
LTC, IN, USAR
Back in the land of the big PX
Life Member A.H. Fox Gun Collectors Assoc
President For Life- Southwest Asia Chapter AHFGCA
ROMAC

Re: A.H. Fox Very Pistol question

Post by ROMAC »

I bought mine with no paperwork from a local FFL years ago in PA, never gave it a second thought. I've never heard of anyone needing a background check and have read stories of people finding them on shelves in Army Navy stores back in the day for cheap.

There are states like Cali, NY and NJ that might have heartburn over them but I don't think you'll find them to be classified as firearms federally.
"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
simcgunner

Post by simcgunner »

up until this year the very pistol was considered a signaling device and not a firearm. I no longer have an active ffl and no longer keep up with the regulations. I remember the ammo had different bumps on the end to tell the colors apart in the dark.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

The Very pistol makes a very effective defense weapon, but slow to reload. :lol: :lol:
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

I stopped into a surplus store on Leesburg Pike in Northern Virginia years ago and there in a corner on the floor was a footlocker full of Very flare pistols, $49 each. I searched through the footlocker and laid all the A.H. Fox Gun Co. ones out on the floor. As I recall there were eleven that were A.H. Fox Gun Co. The rest were Scott & Fetzer Machine Co. I picked this one out of the eleven --
Very Flare Pistol Left.jpg
Probably should have bought all eleven. Maybe the whole footlocker!!

All of them were the 1" conversion --
Very Flare Pistol 1 inch Con.jpg
Ones that are all original in the 25 mm are tough to find --
Very Flare Pistol 25 mm.jpg

America's Munitions 1917-18, report of Benedict Crowell, the Assistant Secretary of War, Director of Munitions, Washington, Government Printing Office, 1919. On page 220 where he discussed the Very Flare Pistol -- "In August 1918, we let contracts for 135,000 of the 25-mm pistols and for approximately 30,000 of the 35-mm pistols. The A.H. Fox Gun Co. completed 4,193 of the smaller pistols and the Scott & Fetzer Machine Co. turned out 7,750 of them. Other concerns which had taken contracts but had not come into production when the armistice was signed were the National Tool & Manufacturing Co., Doehler Die Castings Co., The Hammond Typewriter Co., and Parker Bros."
Share the knowledge