A grade ansley h fox receiver first timer

This forum is to be used to post A.H. Fox Gun parts and pieces from orphaned guns you own or you are searching for. This forum is NOT to be used to sell ANYTHING including complete guns or gun parts. This forum is NOT a marketplace but a bulletin board. All contacts between individuals are to be made through the forum PM system. No prices are to be posted. The main intent here is to marry parts with the original gun and to celebrate that reunion.
SUPERBLAKED

A grade ansley h fox receiver first timer

Post by SUPERBLAKED »

Hello all I picked up my first fox today! A grade “ansley h fox” internet tells me it’s 1911-12 serial #19812
$90 off gb just the receiver but it’s almost complet minus trigger guard safety components and trigger plate screw I took apart and cleaned other than already listed I’ll need stock barrels and forend I see some sterling worth barrels on eBay are they interchangeable? How are parts for these beauties in general to find or just need to get lucky for parts on eBay and other outlets
Attachments
C308EF29-716C-423A-AEE0-27714683E463.jpeg
SUPERBLAKED

Re: A grade ansley h fox receiver first timer

Post by SUPERBLAKED »

More pictures
MIGrouse

Post by MIGrouse »

Some one on Guns International is selling a set of HE barrels in the white.
HE Barrels.jpg
setterspell

Post by setterspell »

Welcome SUPERBLAKE. I dont know what your budget is for this project, but I can only say "stop while youre ahead". Keep in mind youre not building a AR15 where you can just drop in any parts from the internet. While the parts you have purchased certainly have value, the cost of finding missing parts and professionally fitting barrels, forend and wood will be well beyond the value of your finished Fox. Save your money and keep watching for a complete original Fox.
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

Congratulations!

You have accumulated some good parts at a decent price, but these are the parts that are typically either easy to find or no one needs or wants. People typically want harder to get parts like forend parts for projects like a second set of barrels or ejector parts which can break, none of which you have.

The best advice I can give you is that you consider shelving your dreams of a "build" and sell them off individually to recoup your investment. You are starting to head down a financial hole where you could easily spend $5K for a $1K shooter with no collector value. The only exception I can think of is if you have the talent to do all the work yourself, are patient enough to find parts needed on the cheap and are looking for a labor of love.

Sorry to be so blunt, but we have all been there at one time or another.
"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
SUPERBLAKED

Post by SUPERBLAKED »

Hahaha thank you for the response definitely a labor of love long haul project I just finished a 20 gauge Citori “build” if you wanna call it that which took me 5 years of trolling eBay to complete did have to do some welding and fitting barrels myself but definitely understanding what you all are saying mostly looking to build a nice grouse gun that I can have fun tinkering with just wanted to see we’re parts we’re mainly surfacing
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

Well, I'm rooting for you then.

Good luck. I'll have to look in a few boxes of stuff to see if there isn't something that you might need that I have squirelled away.
"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
bbman3

Post by bbman3 »

Your frame looks like extractor so buy a set of extractor sterlingworth barrels and snap on forend and trigger guard. Bobby
spyder

Post by spyder »

Good luck with your project! My advice is to be very specific about the barrels you buy, especially the lateral width at the breech end, and that it matches as closely as possible the lateral width of the standing breech of your action. Also the angle where the action flats intersect the vertical face of the standing breech changed over the years, so try to get barrels that were made in the same time period or have access to some fancy milling equipment. I say this after years of trying to find barrels compatible for a 1909 C grade.

Frank P.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

MIGrouse wrote:Some one on Guns International is selling a set of HE barrels in the white.
HE Barrels.jpg
Those won't fit his frame. Those HE barrels will only fit a Super Fox Frame.
SUPERBLAKED

Post by SUPERBLAKED »

Will sterling worth barrels “with some fitting fit ansley h fox frame?
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

SUPERBLAKED wrote:Will sterling worth barrels “with some fitting fit ansley h fox frame?
Might fit, might not dependent on when the barrels were made. However, you are going to have a foreend latch problem. Graded 12 gauge guns used the Deely latch as far as I know and the Sterlingworth used a snap on forearm. That means you might be able to get a Sterlingworth forearm complete with metal work and make it and the barrel work, but it sure won't look right. Might be able to turn it into a shooter.

PS. I could be wrong on the above, but I think I'm right or I wouldn't post it.
SUPERBLAKED

Post by SUPERBLAKED »

Little update found sterlingworth barrels and they fit really well compared to other guns I’ve tried could not find a forend that fits so I took a ejector model forend I got for cheap and used a file and am converting to a baker style latch to fit the barrel
SUPERBLAKED

Post by SUPERBLAKED »

Photos
Attachments
CA2CD38B-4398-4734-9980-6D8FDF8E83CF.jpeg
B462A316-2A15-49CE-AA55-1985F491E374.jpeg
82380846-BC7B-4155-925B-D1FDA86DEFCE.jpeg
SUPERBLAKED

Post by SUPERBLAKED »

One problem I have run into the barrels are missing cocking slide and I have not been able to find one so may attempt to make one if I can unless anyone has a lead on one and also was wondering if anyone knows the status of pumpkin mountain gun shop are they coming back? Or gone for good
Attachments
FE302BF3-7204-4E85-8AB2-FDD5524D8A8E.jpeg
B49F4B78-5524-48E2-B366-BC97088B909E.jpeg
CE778292-14AC-4ABE-BEF5-EAEEAAC4D862.jpeg