briley chokes in vintage shotgun

Use this forum to discuss other vintage guns
44whiskey

briley chokes in vintage shotgun

Post by 44whiskey »

opinions on how briley chokes installed in otherwise high condition london sidelock effects value,thanks in advance. 44whiskey :?:
arcmaster

Re: briley chokes in vintage shotgun

Post by arcmaster »

Once saw a model 21 Deluxe Duck with 32 inch pipes VR in 95% plus condition with Briley thin wall tubes installed. The gun ended up selling for about 40% below what retail at the time would have been for that gun. This was in 2011. Very rare configuration in a 21 that was minty condition wise. Gun would be an amazing clays gun, but the chokes really deflated the value.
jimmartin

Post by jimmartin »

In my opinion they will kill the value. If too tight use spreaders. I for one will not buy a double with Briley chokes.
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

I think tubes devalue more than opening up the original choke.
"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

ROMAC wrote:I think tubes devalue more than opening up the original choke.
Agree 100 percent. I would not buy a classic gun with tubes. I would buy one that had the chokes opened uo.
terc

Post by terc »

I was just getting into doubles in the mid 80s. I was spending an afternoon at Woodcock Hill. While talking about chokes, I asked Glenn what he thought about installing choke tubes in a vintage double. He turned around and said "It's like kissing the anti-Christ" . There's an opinion.
44whiskey

Post by 44whiskey »

thanks fellas for your feedback i will scratch that one off my list.it was listed on the internet, i would not have tubes installed but this was already done. boy,i could never pick up that gun and not think of tercs quote.that would surely detract from pride of ownership :wink: 44 whiskey ps tom are you getting reports on sophie,hope she is head of class.
Last edited by 44whiskey on Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Okay, here's the other side of the story. To be sure, I'd never have a nice vintage gun "screw choked". But, several years ago a 32" 12 ga. Fox BE (you don't have to say Philly with a BE) came up for sale on GI, as I recall, at a reasonable price. The old girl had been restocked, screw choked with Briley S-1 series thin walls, but was tight on face and not too bad a looker. I bought her because I had no idea I'd live long enough to see another 32" BE for sale. Long story short, it has been a wonderful hunting gun, and clays gun, and has received many positive comments.

I won the AA Class S X S event at a major shoot with her a few years ago, she's done good work on ducks, and she's taken many limits of late season doves. I appreciate fine, high original condition Foxes, no doubt. But as far as detracting from pride of ownership, it never has for me. It is what it is, and I enjoy it often. Just offering a view of the "other side of the coin".

spyder

Post by spyder »

OPs question is in regard to a London sidelock. I would think it would have the same effect as sleeving in that it gives any buyer an instant excuse to bid way back, about a 40% discount in my experience. I say that as an owner of a sleeved London gun.
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

Would I buy a vintage gun with choke tubes? Maybe, if I loved it. Would I install choke tunes in a vintage gun? Nope.
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Stan, beautiful pictures. We certainly can’t argue with your marksmanship or hunting prowess.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Fin2Feather wrote:Would I buy a vintage gun with choke tubes? Maybe, if I loved it. Would I install choke tunes in a vintage gun? Nope.
Well stated.
44whiskey

Post by 44whiskey »

wow, i thought i put this to bed, beautiful b stan,thank you for reply. fin2feather,spyder,and jeff,also thank you for reply. this could be chance to buy at price i am willing to pay for so called london best or go with provincial boxlock. i am new to this double barrel collecting world and the cost per play is higher than other guns i have collected in the past,just want to make informed choice. 44whiskey ps does anyone know the ballpark cost to have thinwall chokes installed,add that cost and gun value deduct together and that would be pretty big hit.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

44whiskey

Post by 44whiskey »

thank you stan, that cost is less than i was expecting. hope you are having good dove season and again that is a beautiful b