One last time Va Woodcock

Use this forum to post pictures of hunting with your Fox.
vaturkey

One last time Va Woodcock

Post by vaturkey »

After going 2 for 2 a couple of days ago reality set in. Woodcock can be amazingly easy and sometimes incredibly difficult. Today I had excellent dog work, but some of the cover was insane. On one point I had to lay the gun down and crawl under the green briar and blackberry vines to flush the bird and thus honor Sophie's point. Had another example where two birds were pointed and they both came off the ground simultaneously and I think I sorta got frozen for a second on which one to take and missed two rushed shots (one at each bird). Her next point, the bird was simple left to right at 20 yards and just as I pulled the trigger he dipped his/her left wing and banked 90 degrees to the left and I missed it clean. Finally the second to the last bird she pointed I hit and got a nice retrieve out of her. Total birds pointed 6. Total birds in the bag 1. Did have a couple of non-productive (in the old days false points) points where she said they were there and they just weren't. Still carrying my little 20 Sterly upgrade. Gloves are Orvis and I like them a lot because they are thin and long. Short gloves and my wrists look like I was trying to commit suicide in these briars.
Attachments
20210111_105615.jpg
20210111_112835.jpg
Jim Cloninger

Re: One last time Va Woodcock

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Hi Tom, I think you and Sophie are doing well. The bright green vest really helps to see Sophie in the thick brush. I hope you get another hunt in.
Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

Tom,

Looks like a lot of fun.

Glad Sophie's healed up.

Woodcock were tough this year, but I've not given up yet.

Hope to get out again soon.
"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Jim Cloninger wrote:Hi Tom, I think you and Sophie are doing well. The bright green vest really helps to see Sophie in the thick brush. I hope you get another hunt in.
Jim
Jim, that's a Sylmar vest. I've tried lots of vest and its hands down the best. Tough but not hot. They also have it in blaze orange, but I like the bright green better. Between the vest and the bright orange collar, I can spot her when she's in some thick thick stuff. PS. Nice thing about Woodcock and Sophie is once she has them nailed, they are nailed. Gives me time to grab the phone and take a few shots. PS. Did I mention it was thick. :)
Attachments
20210111_104137.jpg
20210111_101050.jpg
Fox20obsessed

Post by Fox20obsessed »

Tom,
Awesome job by the two of you!!! I can totally understand why that upgraded 20 finds it’s way afield with you quite frequently. Who could ask for two better companions (sophie and your 20)!
-Matt
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Fox20obsessed wrote:Tom,
Awesome job by the two of you!!! I can totally understand why that upgraded 20 finds it’s way afield with you quite frequently. Who could ask for two better companions (sophie and your 20)!
-Matt
That little gun just plain fits me. Its really quick and my reflex's aren't what they used to be. I shoot it pretty well.
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Tom, that is THICK! Jim
Fox20obsessed

Post by Fox20obsessed »

Tom,
It’s tough to leave the gun that fits “just right” behind in favor of another favorite piece...especially when it’s as pretty as that upgraded 20 you have shown here. I don’t think I am alone when I say that I’ve watched the transformation of that gun over the last few years and it turned out truly spectacular. The thing I like most about the A-20 upgrade that you have shared with us is that even though it is a work of art, you are not afraid to take it afield (and in thick cover too!).
Good work!
-Matt
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

I second what Matt said! Jim
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Thanks everyone. Final day was today and goodness there are still some birds around. Sophie was on fire. We found 7 birds, 6 were pointed and 2 got a ride home. Probably easily could have taken a limit, but twice I tried to sneak and get a picture of her pointing and twice the Woodcock didn't care for me getting that close. :( Still a wonderful way to end the season. This last week has been the best last week I've ever had in Virginia. Guess the bottom line is if it doesn't get really really cold they will hang out in the Piedmont until the season ends. PS. I was carrying my upgrade once again.
Attachments
woodcocklastday21.jpg
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

Tom,

Sounds like a great day!
"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Tom, you had a great season!
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Jeff S wrote:Tom, you had a great season!
Thanks Jeff. Sophie was on the shelf for a month with injuries and a surgery to remove a cyst from her neck. Once she got healed up enough to hunt, for a couple of weeks her nose wasn't firing like normal. She either didn't find birds or she pumped them. Talked to a vet specializing in bird dogs and he said sometimes when they are knocked out the meds can mess up their ability to scent for a while and I think it truly did. Fortunately this last week I think the nose was working great and she was back to old Sophie. When she is truly dialed in its a wonder to watch. I call it "Machine Mode" and she had it working this last week. Really fun to hunt that last week and still have some birds hanging around to play with.
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Best picture you ever posted, Tom, and you have posted some great ones! Jim
44whiskey

Post by 44whiskey »

always enjoy your posts.i have viewed many fine foxes on this sight and it pleases me to know yours are being shot.the 20 with blue nitrite pins is amazing.please keep pics coming.all the best 44whiskey