Iver Johnson Special Trap

Use this forum to discuss other vintage guns
Stan Hillis

Iver Johnson Special Trap

Post by Stan Hillis »

A friend who doesn't get to shoot doves much, and loves to eat them, was the recipient of the limit I took Thursday afternoon. So, thinking ahead to Monday evening, and wanting some grilled dove breasts myself, I took to the field this afternoon all by my lonesome. I knew where about 50-60 doves were feeding and set up my decoys and blind there. Today was a first for me. In 61 seasons I had never shot doves with a single-shot gun before. I took my 32" barrel Iver Johnson Special Trap and some B & P Comp One shells. The Comp Ones are lower pressure one ounce loads that I have had problems using in my other guns, due to misfires from light primer strikes. They will, however, fire with 100% reliability in this external hammer gun. It has a tight choke, and the drop is not so minimal that I can't shoot it well, though it is a trap gun. I've got a feeling it won't be the last time I use it on late season doves.

All I wanted was a few fresh birds to grill Monday evening, and it worked out nicely. They are marinating in the fridge tonight.

SRH
Jeff S

Re: Iver Johnson Special Trap

Post by Jeff S »

Stan, you sure know how to get doves! Nice job.
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

Stan,
I’m guessing that’s the first time in a long time that an IJ Special Trap was used for doves! Very cool. Brett
Regards - Foxnut
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Thats a hoot !!! Nice story Stan.
tjw
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Well, Stan with the single barrel you have to make the shot count! Do you keep a loaded shell in your left hand at the forearm for a quick reload?
Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

I tried that Sunday afternoon. Next shot, I reloaded with my right hand, forgetting I had the shell ready in my left. :oops:

SRH
Stan Hoover

Post by Stan Hoover »

Nice shooting Stan,
brings back memories of the opening day of dove season about 15 years ago, that summer I had been attending the monthly trap shoots pretty regularly and I thought to myself, why don’t I take my trap gun? (Ithaca 4E Knick 30” Full choke no safety)

Me and a couple friends had the pleasure of shooting a cantaloupe field that was finished and the doves were everywhere. That trap gun did me proud, I was sitting around waiting for friends to fill their limits.

Stan Hoover