200371 “Slim”

Use this area to post pictures of you favorite Fox custom project or share information about custom projects. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Stan Hillis

Re: 200371 “Slim”

Post by Stan Hillis »

Brian Dudley wrote:I should clarify my previous statement that it is MY opinion that it is the proper way to do it (checker after finish). And many feel the same way. I am in a checkering group on FB and whenever someone posts something related to checkering before finish the responses in favor of doing it after are easily 12 to 1.

I personally only see checkering before hand being useful if a finish is being sprayed where the checkering would be masked. But even then, the wood should really at least be sealed and partially filled in order for it to make sense (to me). Checkering totally raw wood just baffles me. but... some people do it. And a common pro I hear is about mistakes being more easily fixable. I suppose that is true. If you are prone to making mistakes and that is something you worry about.

If a time consuming hand rubbed finish is being applied to an already checkered stock the checkering WILL have to be cleaned up after the job is done, which means more work in the end. And if the one finishing is not the one checkering... then what? it goes back and forth more?

Personally, the only time I do any sort of checkering work before finish is in the case of a organic fill-in pattern (NOT a point pattern) that is intricate on the shape. I will lay out and lightly cut in the outline only of the pattern before finish. That way I can work through the design before hand and if something needs to be adjusted, it can be done without having to worry about a finish being there.
that way when the finish is done and it comes time to checker, the outline is there in the wood. it just has to be gone over and start cutting the spacing lines for the checkering.

If one is concerned about marking up a good finish, tape and things can be used to protect surrounding areas. Again, it is the only way that makes any sense to ME.

Years ago at a gun show a guy asked me about checkering a stock for him. He said he wanted to shape the stock and have it checkered and then he could do the finish. I told him that I checker after finish so he could give it to me after he had it done. He looked at my totally disgusted and just walked away without saying a word more. I guess he was in the "checker before" camp.

Thanks, Brian.
Fox20obsessed

Post by Fox20obsessed »

Jeff and Bill thanks for the compliments. Stan thanks for your addition. Last time I checked, there is more than one way to skin a cat fellas.
-Matt
Last edited by Fox20obsessed on Sun May 17, 2020 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bob Jurewicz

Post by Bob Jurewicz »

Just a comment about absence of responses to posts. The PGCA Site has a very nice feature for those wishing to express their appreciation for a post .
It is a simple feature for each post whereby you can click a "button" and you name appears at the bottom of the post as a "thank you" to the poster for his effort and content.
Bob Jurewicz
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

Bob Jurewicz wrote:Just a comment about absence of responses to posts. The PGCA Site has a very nice feature for those wishing to express their appreciation for a post .
It is a simple feature for each post whereby you can click a "button" and you name appears at the bottom of the post as a "thank you" to the poster for his effort and content.
Bob Jurewicz
Bob,

This would get a "Thumbs Up".
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

We just need a thumbs up added to where the Smilies are. :)
bbman3

Post by bbman3 »

Outstanding job and i know how hard it is as i have restocked many from scratch. Bobby
Fox20obsessed

Post by Fox20obsessed »

Thanks Bobby and Tom 8) I agree with Bob, that would be a nice feature to add to the site. I had some time recently and got my new forend screw fitted up and blued it to match the forend as best I could. I have attached pics of the screw I used for mock-up and then the new, fitted machine screw. I got 3 coats of finish on the forend now and it’s starting to come together nicely.
Thanks for looking...
-Matt
Fox20obsessed

Post by Fox20obsessed »

3 coats of finish applied now. Here is the new wood beside the original.
Thanks,
-Matt
Brian Dudley

Post by Brian Dudley »

Good match in figure from old to new.
,Brian Dudley
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Nice work!
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Beautiful woodwork.
hihaven

Post by hihaven »

Nice finish!
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Fox20obsessed wrote:3 coats of finish applied now. Here is the new wood beside the original.
Thanks,
-Matt

I would say that turned out rather well for sure.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Matt has great talent and his stock work looks good to my eye.
Aan
Fox20obsessed

Post by Fox20obsessed »

Thanks for all of the compliments on the project guys! It is much appreciated and coming from all of you fellas means even more. So far happy with the finish and could slap her together in short order, but there are still some small pores that I have left to fill and follow that up with a final “rub out”. After that I’ll get the checkering finished up and then reassemble. I had yet to inlet for the safety slide, around the top lever spindle, and the sear legs...wrapped that up before finish was applied and I’m happy to say that everything functions perfectly. I have opted not to re-blue the barrels for this gun and also not mess with the factory bead...the frame has patina and the original barrel blue doesn’t have the typical thin spots up around the forend so I’m just gonna roll with it. The wood is currently set aside until sometime next week when I will continue with the finish. Hoping to have the gun re-assembled and back in the safe by the end of June to relax for a month or two before getting it out on some clay to become reacquainted with the ol’ girl.
Thanks for looking guys,
-Matt