Crap happens and you adjust and move on

Use this area to post pictures of you favorite Fox
vaturkey

Crap happens and you adjust and move on

Post by vaturkey »

I've been having a Fox AE 16 gauge buttstock replaced for some time as the original had been inletted with ivory of all things to repair a split in the stock head. Purchased a Circassian blank from a well known blank supplier and have had it at Custom Stocks and Steel for a while getting the work done. Blank 667 B was turned with no issues and then inletted and then it sat for a bit until Dan got a chance to do the final shaping which started last week. Never had this happen before but during the final shaping a flaw was found that was unrepairable as the gun gods call it. Back to square one.

I had a Circassian blank here at the house that I'd had for a while and while it certainly wasn't as nice as the first blank, it was bought and paid for and available as they say. Shipped the blank to Dan last week and his dad turned it this week. Inletting will start soon and hopefully it will turn out fine in the end. Just goes to show you that Mr. Murphy is alive and well, and lets just say shit happens. I think it will turn out well in the end. Attaching a pic of the gun itself, which is a AE 16 gauge Fox with 28" barrels choked cylinder and Full (interesting combo) and also ordered with a ebony forearm tip. Thought about converting it to a regular round knob, but decided to stay with the gun as it left the factory 100 years ago.

PS. Ah, the things we do to make these things right. This gun will be headed somewhere this fall to chase little brown birds.
Attachments
wattswalnut667B.jpg
IMG_0380.jpg
IMG_0381.jpg
fixae.jpg
ebonyAE.jpg
ebonyAE.jpg (79.99 KiB) Viewed 4871 times
Last edited by vaturkey on Fri May 15, 2020 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fox20obsessed

Re: Crap happens and you adjust and move on

Post by Fox20obsessed »

Awesome gun and nice restock!!! Shame about the first blank, but the second one will be nice as heck too : ). Are those factory Full/Cyl chokes Tom? Also, are you reusing the factory forend wood or will that get new wood as well? Engraving looks sharp still too...Nice!
-Matt
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Tom, that’s going to be a beauty.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Fox20obsessed wrote:Awesome gun and nice restock!!! Shame about the first blank, but the second one will be nice as heck too : ). Are those factory Full/Cyl chokes Tom? Also, are you reusing the factory forend wood or will that get new wood as well? Engraving looks sharp still too...Nice!
-Matt
Will reuse the factory forearm. It will be refinished and the checkering touched up. Dan will stain as required to make the the buttstock and forearm match. Yes, those are factory full/cylinder chokes. Someone knew what they wanted a 100 years ago. Should be a wonderful little brown bird gun.

PS. This is what the new blank looked like that was turned this week. Once it goes through final shaping and finishing, more fiddleback will no doubt show up. This is a very dense blank. Dan will be removing a lot of wood from the buttstock to make it balance correctly. Good news unlike the other piece, is the grain flow is perfect in the head/grip area.
Attachments
20200508_113239.jpg
20200508_113300.jpg
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Nice blank, Tom. I can't wait to see the final result!
Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

PS. Update to this. Someone buggered up the bottom action screw and attempting to fix it drilled and tapped it to a different size. To repair required some TIG welding which then messed up the bottom plate. Bottom line the gun has turned into a full restoration now with recut engraving, case hardening etc. Won't see it for a while sad to say.
67galaxie

Post by 67galaxie »

I can't wait to see you take some ducks with it