barrel grade

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Littlebear15

barrel grade

Post by Littlebear15 »

I'm recently a new member and just starting to become more acquainted with the terminology used on Fox guns. I tried to search for some answers but can't seem to find out some important facts. For right now what are the different barrel grades I hear mentioned? What are the differences between those grades, and where do I find the markings that identify the grade? I know this might require a fairly lengthy reply but I can't seem to find information on my own. Thanks in advance for any help with this question.
JasonPeck

Re: barrel grade

Post by JasonPeck »

AHFCA Life Member
Littlebear15

Post by Littlebear15 »

Thanks very much for that. What is meant when I see references to a number two or number three barrel?
JasonPeck

Post by JasonPeck »

Littlebear15 wrote:Thanks very much for that. What is meant when I see references to a number two or number three barrel?
That refers to the weight of the unfinished barrels.
BarrelWeights12-gauge_zpsaaa156c9.jpeg
BarrelWeights16-gauge_zps10fe916b.jpeg
BarrelWeights20-gauge_zps3a68a683.jpeg
AHFCA Life Member
Littlebear15

Post by Littlebear15 »

Thanks for all the help. It is greatly appreciated.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Thanks Jason for posting. Let me reiterate your comment that the weights (mass) shown are for UNFINISHED barrel sets.

Why do I mention that? You’ll read boasts by fellas with lightweight Fox upland guns, how they had the sagacity to get one with 4-weight barrels and hence it's really a featherweight and such a joy to carry all day over hill and dale. A real feather in the cap so to speak. But in fact, many of those barrels are actually 3-weight profile. In reality 4-weight Fox barrels are infrequently seen, and often in small bores their forward walls are so thin as to be easily dented while in the field. We're not talking here about high tensile alloy steel except in some of the very latest Fox/Utica made guns.

You can typically subtract 2-4 ounces from the weights shown in the charts depending on gauge and how much steel was struck from the barrel set (during finishing) to achieve the gun's target weight.

frank
Aan
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

We often see the barrel weight number used on the production cards when large runs of A- or AE-Grade guns were being made for "stock." There would be a number of A-Grade 28-inch guns with #2 barrels made, then a number of A-Grade 28-inch barrel guns with #3 barrels and finally a number of A-Grade 28-inch guns with #4 barrels. Then a similar run with 30-inch or 26-inch barrels, then perhaps all over again in AE-Grade. Once the gun was finished the pounds and ounces were penciled in.
32730 front.png
202876 front.png
302775 front.png
Share the knowledge
bamboozler

Post by bamboozler »

On each of the FOX BARREL WEIGHTS sheets it states "Allowance for finish is included in given dimensions". What exactly does this mean?