26 inch Custom

Use this forum to post pictures of hunting with your Fox.
ROMAC

26 inch Custom

Post by ROMAC »

I picked up this 12 gauge custom upgrade last year at Hauseman's. I run counter to a lot of guys here and actually like short barreled guns so it was a no brainer. I'm finding it easier to get good deals on the short ones. Anyway, I had a good time taking it out for a day at a preserve last week.
Attachments
IMG_0998.jpg
IMG_1003.jpg
"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
fox-admin
Site Admin

Re: 26 inch Custom

Post by fox-admin »

Very nice looking gun and nice photos. I am also a fan of 26" for my upland hunting. thanks Craig
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Nice pictures Roger. A few weeks ago I shot a few pheasants with my 26" 20 ga. Sterly, but the pictures didn't come out nearly as nice as yours. Maybe I have to keep the birds out the lab's mouth. :) Nice gun
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

Great pics!
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

I was wiping down everything in the safes and took a picture of the engravers mark on that the custom Sterly 12 I got last year at Hauseman's.

I don't know anything about who did the work but I was hoping someone might recognize the gunsmith or engravers mark shown in the picture. It looks like 2 capital J's with a perpendicular martini glass attached.

Does anyone recognize this mark? (the picture is upside down)

Any help would be appreciated.

Roger
Attachments
IMG_1100.jpg
Fox20obsessed

Post by Fox20obsessed »

Roger,
That is a very tasteful and well executed signature. Really like that gun. Is that a fine sliver of wood spliced in beside the trigger plate right there beside the signature? If so, that was also very well executed. I ask that question because I have had to splice in pieces like that in the past on semi-inlets. Super nice custom 12 you have there. I bet that makes a sweet pheasant blaster. I hope someone here can provide some info so that you can track your guns roots.
-Matt
Last edited by Fox20obsessed on Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Nice gun Roger. I like 26 inchers too and 26 and 32's pretty much cover my hunting and shooting. I missed that gun at Hausmann's! :P

frank
Aan
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

Thanks for your compliments!

I've been trying to find out whose mark that is and wondering if anybody has ever seen a mark by J.J. Perodeau out of Oklahoma.

The J & J make sense but the perpendicular line to the triangle that kind of looks like a martini glass has me scratching my head.

I'm going to try to send him a picture and see if he replies one way or the other.
Fox20obsessed

Post by Fox20obsessed »

Roger,
I’d be interested to hear who did the color case hardening on you 12 gauge custom as well...those colors are awesome.
-Matt
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Roger, I sent you a PM. frank
Last edited by Silvers on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aan
Rbishop

Post by Rbishop »

I am also very impressed with those case colors! Would like to know who did this great work!
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

I'm always amazed at the wealth of information and the generous support I get from some of the most knowledgeable and friendly guys here at the Fox Collectors forum.

I received a tip in regards to the engravers mark on the gun from our very own Silvers. Frank went out of his way to make a call to someone he thought might recognize the engravers mark. Frank's intuition was spot on and he shared the name with me. I pursued it and made contact with the engraver via email and he got back to me quickly. His name is JJ Roberts from Manassas Virginia.

JJ was very friendly and he gave me permission to share his name and told me a few tidbits about the gun. He told me he acquired the gun in partial trade for work owed and that he did the engraving and bluing work as a spec project, and that the case color hardening was done by John Gillette who, unfortunately, is no longer in business.

As if this were not enough, he told me to go to his Facebook page, where I found the photo below. To me it is priceless. Anyone wishing to contact JJ can find everything you need to know via Google or on his Facebook page.

Thanks again to Frank, without his efforts I would still be spinning my wheels.
Attachments
JJRoberts1.jpg
Fox20obsessed

Post by Fox20obsessed »

This last post really made my day!!! Man that is super cool to see that story come together. Congrats for finding out all of this info. Things like this add a lot of value in my book. All I can say is Wow Awesome. I didn’t know John Gillette went out of business, that is unfortunate. The colors on Rogers gun prove that John had CCH mastered IMO.
-Matt
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

I'm quarantining at home like most of us and sat down to read the latest DGJ that just arrived.

There is a very good article by Terry Deem starting on page 59 of this quarters Double Gun Journal that profiles a restored Remington Rolling Block No.1 in 24 gauge with some interesting features.

What is very coincidental is that the author states that the case coloring was done by none other than John Gillette of Classic Guns in Crete, Illinois. The author does not state when the work was done, so maybe John is no longer doing the work, as JJ told me, but you should see the colors on the Remington! Oh Boy!

As Matt said, he had the CCH process mastered!
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

Romac,
I am re-reading some threads. That is a beautiful custom gun both the engraving and case coloring. Another exceptional artist in case coloring was Ohio Case Color but unfortunately he also retired. Much like John’s work nice contrast without being gaudy or to dark. The coloring on your 12 Custom sets off the engraving and allows you to see it. Wonderful gun!
Regards - Foxnut