End of My Duck Season

Use this forum to post pictures of hunting with your Fox.
Jim Cloninger

End of My Duck Season

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Last Wednesday I fell trying to pull my duck boat from the street up my driveway into my garage. It was a heavy load and I fell and re-injured an old back injury causing a lot of pain. The X-ray reveiled a cracked bone in my spine. My back surgeon is going to fit me with a back brace for 12 weeks! I am really bummed about not being able to hunt ducks anymore this season.
Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
OH Osthaus

Re: End of My Duck Season

Post by OH Osthaus »

good luck healing up Jim, bummer

falling does get more serious as we get less spry

a guy i know ended his season this year slipping on the ice and breaking his wrist

like the sargent in that old cop show used to say, be careful out there
"If there is a heaven it must have thinning aspen gold, and flighting woodcock, and a bird dog" GBE
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Sorry to hear about your fall. I wish you speedy recovery.
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

Awful way to end your season.

I hope you have a speedy recovery.
"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

Get well quick Jim; sorry your season's over. I broke my leg a few years back; real PITA. When folks would ask how it happened I'd say I was injured pushing a little old lady out of the way of a speeding car. I'd eventually own up to the fact that I broke it stepping off my front porch onto some black ice :oops: .
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

I'm not sure if any of you knew Vinnie DeAngelo.

He set up at some of the better gun shows in NY, OGCA (Ohio) and the January Las Vegas show. He sold nice doubles and Winchester's.

He also liked to hunt ducks on Long Island Sound near where he lived.

Two years ago last week he had set out for an afternoon duck hunt on LI Sound. LI had received a lot of heavy, wet snow. He apparently got his truck stuck and was found dead next to his truck.

Pretty sad indeed.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

That is sad, bill, especially for his family. I hope he went quickly from a heart attack, or something similar, and not from hypothermia. It is a bit selfish, I guess, but if I could choose a place to be when I leave this mortal frame, I can't imagine anyplace better than a duck blind on a bright, clear, sunny morning with redlegs falling out of the sky. I can think of a lot worse things to be looking at when He calls me home.

I once asked my buddies, if I were to ever lose my vision, to help me to the duck blind occasionally so that I can just listen to the sounds of the hunt. The calling, the wind in their wings, the shots, the splash of the Lab as he's sent to retrieve. Wonderful stuff, to a swamp rat like me.

Best wishes, and prayers, for a quick recovery, Jim.

SRH
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

Stan Hillis wrote:. . . It is a bit selfish, I guess, but if I could choose a place to be when I leave this mortal frame, I can't imagine anyplace better than a duck blind on a bright, clear, sunny morning with redlegs falling out of the sky. I can think of a lot worse things to be looking at when He calls me home.

I once asked my buddies, if I were to ever lose my vision, to help me to the duck blind occasionally so that I can just listen to the sounds of the hunt. The calling, the wind in their wings, the shots, the splash of the Lab as he's sent to retrieve. Wonderful stuff, to a swamp rat like me.

Best wishes, and prayers, for a quick recovery, Jim.

SRH
Well said Stan.

Jolly
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

That truly is sad, Bill, ending his duck hunting forever. I hope I recover enough to hunt ducks next year, but I will be 80 years old!
Jim
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Hang in there, Jim. One of my friends that hunted with me in AR this week, B Lindsey, will be 80 next month. He had both knees replaced, and he's good for several more years I believe. He's one of my favorite people in the world to spend time with.

http://www.rexnelsonsouthernfried.com/?p=3118

SRH
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Thanks for the information, Stan. However, I didn't play football, only baseball and ice hockey!
Jim
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

Jim, follow the Dr.’s orders and let yourself heal. Here’s to a solid recovery and back to Ducks next season!! Will give you an objective to work towards!!
Regards - Foxnut