Phil Arms early Fox - Barrel extension gap?

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Deadeye7

Phil Arms early Fox - Barrel extension gap?

Post by Deadeye7 »

I am trying to decide what, if anything, to do with the condition on this early Phil Arms Fox 12GA. There is a gap between end of the barrel extension and the action slot (see pics). It all locks up tight and the Krupp barrels are in great condition. While I don't think it weakens the lockup, would appreciate other views on that. Also thoughts on how to correct it.
Attachments
PhilArmsFoxBarrel2.jpg
PhilArmsFoxBarrel.jpg
Keavin Nelson
Researcher

Re: Phil Arms early Fox - Barrel extension gap?

Post by Researcher »

First, do all the serial numbers match? Checking my Philadelphia Arms Co. gun, the length of the top of the barrel extension is 15/32 inch, Did someone grind some metal off your rib extension or lengthen the slot in the standing breech?
454 13.JPG
454 14.JPG
454 15.JPG
Here is Ansley's Patent for the bolting, though it was issued after he had left Philadelphia Arms Co. and the Patent was assigned to his new A.H. Fox Gun Co.
Patent No. 796,119 page 1.jpg
Share the knowledge
Deadeye7

Post by Deadeye7 »

YEs all the numbers match. And the dimension, 15/32 is the same so apparently the slot was lengthened as it measures almost 17/32, I can't imagine why. If you look really closely at 10x you can see where it was done. A talented TIG man could likely fix it, fill in the slot, and then file to correct dimension, but it holds the potential to ruin the gun if the talent isn't deep enough. You think Turnbull could do it? Not sure the gun is worth the investment although I am going to restock it, but I will do that myself.
Keavin Nelson
dblgunfix

Post by dblgunfix »

I know of a way to resolve that issue
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

dblgunfix wrote:I know of a way to resolve that issue
Welcome to the Fox site dgf.

We sure would appreciate your thoughts.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

I would not touch that extension rib, it being a non Important part of a low value gun. I would shoot it and love it.