case color remover

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Greg G

case color remover

Post by Greg G »

i have a 30 in ejector sterlingworth that was firing both barrels . i started to take it apart hoping that it was just dirty but i couldnt budge the floorplate screw. i made the mistake of soaking the reciever in penetrating oil over night thinking it would get in the workings and clean and loosen the stubborn screw. when i pullrd it out the case coloring was removed up to the height of the oil soak!. question is was the case color original or chemically redone to be dissolved by pb blaster? ps i got the screw out with the drill press that i learnd about here. thanks for input in advance Greg,
vaturkey

Re: case color remover

Post by vaturkey »

Probably original. Toilet bowl cleaner will remove case color also and that's what many smiths use to create the "French Grey" affect on custom guns so custom engraving will show up better.
bbman3

Post by bbman3 »

The floorplate screw can give you fits to remove,use a drill press and turn it by hand. Bobby
Brian Dudley

Post by Brian Dudley »

A lot of modern oils have a lot of stuff in them other than just oil. Chemicals and cleaners that can do damage to firearm finishes.
,Brian Dudley
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

On this topic....what is a good way to “tone down” an overly gaudy case color job?
Regards - Foxnut
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Foxnut wrote:On this topic....what is a good way to “tone down” an overly gaudy case color job?
I would say toilet bowl cleaner and 0000 steel wool, used very lightly. Bronze wool might even be a better choice.
Brian Dudley

Post by Brian Dudley »

There can be a number of ways depending on how durable the colors are on the frame in question. A good way can sometimes just be a stainless carding wheel (like used for rust bluing) and some oil.

Some metal polish such as semi chrome polish can be effective if used carefully.

You just have to play with it and see what works well for you and the look that you want.

Or... just use it and let it wear naturally.
,Brian Dudley