Red Letter Day with a Fox

Use this forum to post pictures of hunting with your Fox.
Silvers

Red Letter Day with a Fox

Post by Silvers »

Back in 1998 I took two grouse within a few minutes with a 16 bore Sterlingworth; one was a typical red phase and the other was what's locally called a "silvertail" - pretty scarce hereabouts in PA. Our day bag limit was (and still is) two birds and it surely was a Red Letter day.

History repeats itself. I hunted today out in the mountains near the cabin and was able to bag a red phase in the morning and a silvertail just after noon, the only one I've seen over those 21 seasons. Two other birds were flushed but not shot at before I got the silvertail. I was alone today, walk up hunting as I like to do along coal mine RR beds that date back to the 1870-90's.

The gun is a 20b Fox Sterlingworth 28-incher that was converted to straight grip/long tang and is choked light and heavy Modified. Fox nuts will note its so-called "thick wrist".

frank
IMG_3899-1.jpg
Last edited by Silvers on Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aan
Stan Hillis

Re: Red Letter Day with a Fox

Post by Stan Hillis »

What a great day for you, Frank! Beautiful birds. Is there any other noticeable difference between the two birds other than the tail color? What do the biologists contribute the tail color difference to?

Oh ............. nice Fox, too! What shells were you using?

SRH
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Stan, the silvertail is a ruffed grouse color phase and I suppose the biologists can explain it, but I cannot. The primary difference is the gray color in the tail rather than the typical red-brown.

First grouse was taken with a 2-3/4" Remington Game Club, 7/8 ounce of 7-1/2 shot. Silvertail was taken with one of the Gamebore 28 gram 7's I've written about here on another thread. Both shots at about 25-30 yards and neither bird ran when it dropped. Hey I've also included here a pic of the "Bubble Up" as you asked about recently.
IMG_3881-1.jpg
Aan
DarylC

Post by DarylC »

Wow Frank, quite a good run from top gun at the Rock to two beautiful birds with a lovely Fox. You must be livin' right.
BTW, what does the Fox weigh?
You know the picture of the "bubble up" goes to show anyone not familiar with the woods of Pennsylvania or western Maryland just how lovely they are to walk on a fall day. Thanks for the pics.
Owning a Fox is not a spectator sport.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Wow, Great hunt and as always, you post exceptional pictures. Thanks for sharing the experience. Jeff
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Thanks gents. We all get lucky once in a while. :)

Jeff, the pics are from my iPhone which seems to do better than my old digital camera. Daryl, you'll remember this is the restocked 20b Sterly I shot along with you and Smitty this summer on the woods course at Rock Mtn during its Northern SXS Challenge. That was the first time I fired her. A very high quality restock in figured black walnut with conversion to straight grip/long tang. 1-1/2 by 2-1/4 by 14-1/8" LOP to its HRBP that's fitted to a traditional concave butt. Weight 6^1 and chokes are 15 and 20 points.

Bubble Up is the place we at the cabin have gotten mix water for spirits over many decades. :wink:

frank
Aan
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Beautiful birds, Frank! Great pictures too. Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

Very nice!
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

That silvertail is a very pretty bird ..........and the Bubble-Up is a very pretty place. Thanks for the pics, Frank. I always enjoy them. Hunting new places has always been special to me. Seeing those that I will never get to hunt is special, too. Pictures such as yours provides that to many.

SRH
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Fantastic for sure. I have only hunted Pa a bit up north and it was in Potter County more then a few years ago. We shot one of the Silver phase as I recall that day. Being that we are used to hunting Maine and Michigan, we normally only encounter silver phase. Here in Virginia we only have red phase, and very few at that. Ours however are monsters for whatever reason. I've never shot a northern bird equal in size.
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

When growing up in Minnesota hunting Ruffed Grouse, almost all we shot were grey phase. It was special when we got a red phase. Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

Frank, great to see the color variation of the birds. Always a treat when you get a silver phase bird!!
Regards - Foxnut