I couldn't let this one lay.........

Use this area to post pictures of you favorite Fox
Sporrns

I couldn't let this one lay.........

Post by Sporrns »

Something about the innate funkiness of post-WW II Savage Foxes has always captivated me. Garish cyanide colors, pressed checkering, 2x4 forends, and especially the square billet-steel ingot receivers of the .410s. (Who needs profiled frames?!).

This little number surfaced recently at our local show, which has slowly degenerated from a dozen or so dealers with fine double guns down to mostly now black guns & "conversion kit" parts packages", concealed carry underwear & body armor, and MREs in abundance. We also have a resident middle Eastern fudge dealer in residence!

I looked this gun over carefully and couldn't let her lay - amazing surviving case colors, BTFE, original hard rubber buttplate AND grip cap, single non-selective trigger, 28" VENT RIB barrels bored .019 and .031, best I can tell hand-checkered and - best of all - its a 16 gauge! Ultimately funky because it has no ejectors - imagine; VR, ST, but no ejectors! A Model BS with no serial numbers on any parts, but the tiny oval in front of the frame brake is stamped 8L, which I believe signifies a manufacture date of 1960. Thought you would enjoy some photos. Kevin
Attachments
BS16Resized4.jpg
BS16Resized1.jpg
BS16Resized3.jpg
BS16Resized2.jpg
DarylC

Re: I couldn't let this one lay.........

Post by DarylC »

Funky is a relative term Kevin. I've got, dare I admit it, a Model B in 12 that I bought for pennies on the dollar just because of it's condition. Figured it could be a starter gun for a grandchild or a friend who wanted to start down the slippery slope of SxS's.
Owning a Fox is not a spectator sport.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

You'll probably "smoke" the clays at the 5 Stand with that one. :)
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Chicopee Falls or Westfield on the barrels?
Share the knowledge
Sporrns

Post by Sporrns »

It's a Chicopee Falls gun Dave.
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

'61 by my calcs. Lot of wild game dinners brought home by guns just like that one. And I think that's kinda the point when you get right down to it :wink:. I had a near mint Model B 12ga c. 1960 - double triggers, splinter, extractors, vent rib. My father-in-law wanted one and I found it for him but he had some health issues and never really got to shoot it; when he passed my mother-in-law gave it to me. Later I knew she could use the money so I sold it and gave the money to her - one of the few guns I've ever sold, and one I sort of wish I hadn't. Good on ya for not turning up your nose.
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
Don Ay

Post by Don Ay »

I bought mine when I was 16 years old from a from an old fellow that was a welder and worked for my dad I believe its late 40's early fifties vintage.
In all my youthful bliss I had a "Fox" but as all the old timers I knew said it has to be a "Phily Fox" then 20 years later and having 12 and 20 HE's & CHE's I still have place in my heart for that ole gun and the memories it made...I wouldn't trade it for a 3"- 32"barreled straight grip HE....welll nah LOL
Attachments
DCP01597.JPG
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Nice!!!!
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Nice bunch of Sprig, Don. What year was that? Back in the 50's you could shoot 10 Sprig per day in California! When I started duck hunting it was 7 per day. Seven made a nice limit.
Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Is that a Simmons vent rib on the gun? It certainly isn't the flat Henry K. Lockwood, Patent No. 3,005,263 granted Oct. 24, 1961, vent rib normally seen on the Fox Model B and B-ST. From the 1960 Savage/Stevens/Fox catalog --
1960 Fox Model B & B-ST.jpeg
A Chicopee Falls gun with the Lockwood vent rib --
Fox Model B Chicopee Falls vent rib.jpg
Share the knowledge
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Dave, have I ever shared my method of returning a Model B top lever to the center position with you? By the way, Kevin and I were out Friday with his Model B and my new favorite trap gun.
Sporrns

Post by Sporrns »

Damn sure is a Simmons vent rib!! Logo(s) on the left barrel read: "Savage Arms Corporation, Chicopee Falls, Mass. U.S.A., Patent Applied For." This appears in 3 lines, to the left of which reads "Fox", to the right of script reads "Model B." Just like your photo - OMG !!! - could it be an ultra-rare, pre-1961 Henry K. Lockwood patent approval date prototype? Wish they had gone with it - hate looking at that ugly-a** screw at the junction of the rib extension!!! Kevin
TOOL MAN

Post by TOOL MAN »

.....and hopefully she weighs a tad under 6 lbs. 13 oz.????? :D :P :D
On the whole....I'd rather be in Philadelphia....
Sporrns

Post by Sporrns »

Steve; she tips my 1920's spring loaded grocery scale at 6 lb 14 oz. I need new batteries for my USPS postal digital scale and will check that wt. out. Or I could have a new custom splinter forend made for the competition next year......K.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

These Chicopee Fox B's are kind of neat. Thanks Kevin for posting. I look forward to seeing her at one of the events.

I've been doing clays and now some hunting with a B-ST in 410 that I've had for a while but hadn't used all that much. Both chokes check out as Improved Mod, weight 6-5 on my digital scale and its vent rib sure makes a nice sighting plane after I pulled its huge mid bead that was catching my eye. Balances right on the hinge pin and handles really well.
Aan