Interesting Phila. Fox Find

Use this area to post pictures of you favorite Fox custom project or share information about custom projects. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Angelo Foglietta

Interesting Phila. Fox Find

Post by Angelo Foglietta »

I am new to this forum but I have been an avid vintage SxS collector for years. I have, over the years, discussed collecting and hunting with these fine shotguns with my non hunting neighbor. We got into a discussion about Foxes and how they were made in Philadelphia. My neighbor said he wanted to show me something and went inside and came out with an odd looking gun. His business is commercial demolition and he often finds some interesting things in these buildings. He gave me a brass handgun that looks for all the world like a flare gun. It's a break open action with a side latch. The interesting thing is on the top strap it says " A. H. Fox Gun Company Phila. PA " and identifies the gun as a Model V with some additional info on the second line of the top strap. It looks like the barrel has been lined and a twelve gauge 2 3/4 inch shell fits in the chamber (not that I would even think of firing one in this gun). I am trying to figure out how to post pictures of this gun. In the meantime does anyone know what this gun is? I didn't know the Fox gun company made guns other that shotguns in their Phila. factory. Any information would be appreciated.
JasonPeck

Re: Interesting Phila. Fox Find

Post by JasonPeck »

AHFCA Life Member
Angelo Foglietta

Post by Angelo Foglietta »

Thank you Jason for the prompt reply to my query and for the useful information.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

During The Great War, the A.H. Fox Gun Co. made Mauser rifle barrels for Serbia, parts for Czarist Russia's military rifle, and 350,000 parts for U.S. Colt .45 pistols, as well as the Very Flare Pistols. See our Newsletter, Volume Six, Issue 1, Spring 2013, for an article on the company's production during WW-I.
Share the knowledge
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

12 gauge flares are available to shoot in this type of gun.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

As originally built, these Mark IV Very Flare Pistols were built in 25mm --
Very Flare Pistol 25 mm.jpg
Between the Wars many were bore out to 1-inch --
Very Flare Pistol 1 inch Con.jpg
Share the knowledge
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Sleeved guns or guns with chamber inserts can be fired with the 12 gauge flares of different types. Obviously, this poster has a gun that has been sleeved or has a chamber insert. Have fun with it.
grouse28

Post by grouse28 »

Welcome to the forum, Angelo.
Now you need to find a nice sub gauge Fox, for those Woodcock hunts.
You might shoot it as well as that long range Elsie.
Pick up a copy of McIntosh’s A. H. Fox book.