Completelly disassemble a Sterlingworth

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
SpatialKing

Completelly disassemble a Sterlingworth

Post by SpatialKing »

Hi there! I am a new member and I have a SW I'd like to restore. This question had to have been asked before, but if so, I cannot find it using the search function. The question is there a video or thread on how to completely disassemble a Sterlingworth, S/N 65xxx? The cost to rust blue and charcoal color the receiver is only 10% of the total cost if I do the disassembly rather than have a restoration house do it. I've seen the instructions on how to remove the stock, so no problems going that far.
Thanks in advance for your help,
SpatialKing
Silvers

Re: Completelly disassemble a Sterlingworth

Post by Silvers »

There are partial disassembly instruction on the Home page (as for cleaning) but they don't cover removal/reassembly of the hammers, mainspring followers, mainsprings, bolting mechanism and the ejector trips on an Ejector Fox. See the pull down under the mechanism/styles tab.

Sad to say but the site has morphed over some years into mainly a collector focus and those increasingly few gents who might step up to answer more involved tech questions or provide instructions often get little positive feedback or even a simple Thank You. This while most of such positive feedback goes to collector-oriented posters and with repeated glowing comments that thank them for what they do.

My advice is to send that Sterly to a GOOD Fox gunsmith who can handle the frame warping after re-casing as is likely to happen. Even Fox had workmen set up to do that.

frank
Last edited by Silvers on Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aan
Brian Dudley

Post by Brian Dudley »

SpatialKing wrote:The cost to rust blue and charcoal color the receiver is only 10% of the total cost if I do the disassembly rather than have a restoration house do it. I
SpatialKing

You better double check this statement for accuracy. You may be misinterpreting the words "prep" to mean disassembly, when it actually means preparation of the metal for case coloring and bluing, as in polishing and correction of defects.
Trust me, disassembly is a small part of the process and really saves you little money if you do it vs the shop doing the metal finishing. If you have not done it before and do not have the proper tools to do it. Best to leave it to the professionals.
,Brian Dudley
SpatialKing

Post by SpatialKing »

Actually, I was somewhat lax in my writing. Yes, I would be doing the polishing and metal prep, which is why most of the savings is labor. I have prepped barrels for bluing before but I haven't prepped anything charcoal color before. Doug Turnbull Restorations would do the bluing and charcoal. I might prep the barrels and let them do the prep work on the charcoal parts. As for truing after coloring, I will ask and confirm.

I have a referral to a good shotgun 'smith - I might refer to him for disassembly. The idea is to do as much work myself as I can reasonably do, rather than have someone else do it all.

Thanks for the inputs, it is very useful info.

SpatialKing