Mini event for Fox small bores at the VGC?

Use this area to post pictures of you favorite Fox custom project or share information about custom projects. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Silvers

Mini event for Fox small bores at the VGC?

Post by Silvers »

TOOL MAN wrote: Field Gun 5 Stand – 20 targets, 10 true pairs
Guns must be handed to the Range Officer on the 5 Stand for weigh in. Gun must not weigh over 6 lbs. 13 ounces (any gauge). The gun comb must be below the arm pit prior to calling for the bird and mounting the gun for shooting. Violations will result in lost targets or disqualification.
This particular event at the upcoming Vintage Gunners Cup sounds exciting and maybe we can get a few of our members with Fox production small bores or their cool custom versions we see in these pages, to shoot as a group. Only 20 targets means you won't get pounded with these lightweight upland guns as on a 50 bird course. I've often heard gents cite that as reason to decline doing the regular long course. Maybe the AHFCA can fund a nominal $ purse? As I recall at last report the treasury was flush with money.

frank
Aan
DarylC

Re: Mini event for Fox small bores at the VGC?

Post by DarylC »

Great idea Frank.. This is one of the few events I plan on shooting so if any other Fox shooter would like to join me it would be great to link up on the 5 stand. Once again I ask if any Fox shooters are planning on attending and what are you planning to shoot?
DarylC

Also, unless I read the rules wrong, I don't think it is limited to smallbores. If someone has a 12ga. that weighs under the weight limit you could certainly use that. Allocating funds for payouts to Fox members shooting in this event could be as simple as awarding cash payouts to all five shooters on the Fox squad. Let's say $75 for high gun, then $50, $40, #30, #20 for places 2-5. Just a suggestion. Anyone have any other suggestions for payouts?
Owning a Fox is not a spectator sport.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

You are correct Daryl, any gauge double gun under that max weight is permitted according to the rules for the Field gun event. Nevertheless this is a good opportunity for members with those eye popping, custom stocked Fox small bores to strut in an event with only 20 targets and thus not much shoulder pounding with featherweight guns. I answered your question on attendance and my guns on the other thread.

I like your suggested breakdown of purses and hope we can get the Fox Treasurer to open the wallet and let some moths out. This proposed event is reminiscent of the A H Fox Championship during the years when the VC was at Pintail Point. We surely had plenty of participation back then. As I’m sure you remember.

frank
Aan
DarylC

Post by DarylC »

I remember the VGC at Pintail very well Frank. That event introduced me to the AHFCA and the participation in that event was strong. I shot an A grade that I had purchased for a buddy of mine and it was that event that introduced me to what a great gun they were and what a fine group of guys you all were. I especially want to give you credit Frank for being such a good mentor and making me feel welcome into this fine group of Fox guys. I became a life member soon after that. Thank you.

I'll also have in tow a couple of Parkers and Lefevers...... Just in case. :roll:
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

This sounds like fun even without a purse. Friday? What time, I can bring a few from my group but most don't own a fox.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Just my opinion Craig. I know many of those in your group who do sporting clays at SxS events and they are all fine gentlemen and sportsmen, but my proposal was for a Fox gun event, not other makers. In line with our stated mission to promote the shooting of Fox guns. As I read the rules anyone can shoot any maker at any time so long as the gun weighs in under the max. Hence those who don't own Foxes can shoot them whenever, or perhaps their favored Collector Association will set up its own separate mini event? I personally would like top see this be something like a "Queen of the Uplands" shoot for small bore Foxes that so well fit that descriptor.
Aan
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Frank: Understand thanks.
One of the better member participation events was the gathering of the Fox trap guns. Maybe that format or something like that would encourage members to participate. A show and tell with shooting optional. Just my thoughts.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Hmmmmmm. I have a 20 ga. Sterlingworth, and Jolly Bill bought a real nice one back in June, but I don't think either one of us are as good of a shot as Daryl. If I had to make a wager, I would bet that Daryl will take this event. :D :D :D
Last edited by Jeff S on Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Just for info to readers, Fox small bores have been referred to in sporting literature as the Queen of the Uplands (as in a vixen fox out hunting).
Last edited by Silvers on Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aan
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Okay Frank. Sounds good to me. I'm trying real hard to talk myself into skipping work and driving out to Pa. for the Vintage event. Sounds like it would be a lot of fun. :)
DarylC

Post by DarylC »

Please do try and make it Jeff. Please keep in mind that your 10ga. will not be legal. :evil:
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

DarylC wrote:Please do try and make it Jeff. Please keep in mind that your 10ga. will not be legal. :evil:
But, I might use that 10 ga. in the main event. I'm not that good, but it's always fun to participate. Jeff