Love for the West?

AHFCA lists all upcoming events on this Forum. Be sure to check back frequently to see what exciting shooting events, displays, and meeting are scheduled.
Johnm11

Love for the West?

Post by Johnm11 »

I have briefed through the topics in the events forum and unless I'm missing something, the events are all in the East, Northeast, and Midwest. Did I miss something West of the Mississippi?

I do realize that most members are probably from the East but I'd like to put my 2 cents in for something out west. I live in Mesa, AZ (suburb of Phoenix). Granted we treat the 3 summer months like northerners treat winter. We just don't plan events like this outside in the summer. But I want to draw a mental picture of an event in January in shorts and a polo shirt. Ben Avery range is world class facility, though I must admit I have never been to the shotgun range there.

If you want to see what it is like in January in Phoenix, just google up some videos of the Phoenix Open that is held on Superbowl Sunday the last week in January/first week of February. Pretty much from October to May the weather is real nice in the Southwest.

So, are there any events already out West? Southern California, New Mexico, Arizona, or Colorado. If not, would a respite from the snow and freezing weather be of interest?

OK, I'm just rambling. But except for funerals I haven't been back East since I left New York for destination unknown. And that was in 1978!
JasonPeck

Re: Love for the West?

Post by JasonPeck »

It's not a shooting event, but I was planning on attending the Las Vegas Antique Arms Show in January 2020. And perhaps help man an AHFCA table.
AHFCA Life Member
Johnm11

Post by Johnm11 »

JasonPeck wrote:It's not a shooting event, but I was planning on attending the Las Vegas Antique Arms Show in January 2020. And perhaps help man an AHFCA table.
Well, maybe we can turn Vegas 2020 into an impromptu shooting event. But the arms show sounds like a destination on it's own.
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

JasonPeck wrote:It's not a shooting event, but I was planning on attending the Las Vegas Antique Arms Show in January 2020. And perhaps help man an AHFCA table.
Jason and John,

I believe next years Las Vegas Gun Show will be Friday, Saturday and Sunday February 28 and 29th and March 1st, 2020. Here's the link for more info: http://www.antiquearmsshow.com/

Jolly
Johnm11

Post by Johnm11 »

Thanks Jolly,

Even if it is not a shooting event, maybe we can gather some Western Fox owners.
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

Johnm11 wrote:Thanks Jolly,

Even if it is not a shooting event, maybe we can gather some Western Fox owners.
That sorta used to be that way several years ago at the Vegas show.

A varied collection of Fox guys, most of them forum members gathering at the gun show.

I didn't make it last year. First January Vegas show I missed in 23 years. Hope to make the next one Feb. 2020.

Be nice to meet more of you Western USA guys. And yes, you too Jason from Canada, eh.

Jolly
Johnm11

Post by Johnm11 »

All of you from Northern climates convince your wives that a vacation in the Southwest in March is a great thing. Average temperatures in March in Vegas are a high of 72 and a low of 39 with 2 days of rain in the month on average.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

For nine years I did the A.H. Fox Collectors Association, Inc. table at the Winter Las Vegas Antique & Sporting Arms Show. Only got help from three or four other members as far as items to display went. Special thanks to John Albano for bringing a C HE & his Becker and to Bill Johnson for a mind blowing "Joshua Green" gun. Early on, some of the other board members came to the show in the earlier years, but the last three I was on my own. I twice did a Fox display on the pool table at The Nimrod Classic at Big Sky Sporting Clays near Polson, Montana.

Back in the day (2004 and earlier) the PGCA had a big presence at the Las Vegas show. A couple of years ago they tried it again, and participation was feeble at best.
Share the knowledge
Johnm11

Post by Johnm11 »

I kind of get it..... This genre just feels like its an East/Midwest kind of thing.
loggy

Post by loggy »

David, Thanks for your work at the show. All of the Fox guns that I own came either directly or indirectly from that show. At the time it was the best way for an Idaho boy to find anything. The last few years that I made it the pickings were slim. I think I enjoyed seeing friends even more than the guns. It was a way to meet you and the East coast collectors. Hopefully I can make it this year. The collecting works has certainly changed. John
JasonPeck

Post by JasonPeck »

Well for a variety of reasons I will not be attending the Vegas show this weekend. Anyone else going?
AHFCA Life Member
Mike of the Mountain

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

Johnm11 wrote:I kind of get it..... This genre just feels like its an East/Midwest kind of thing.
John, there are quite a few SxS events in The Peoples Republic of Kalifornia. They have an active SxS Society and I have seen ads and pics from their events more often in the past two years.
Sporrns

Post by Sporrns »

For me it has always been giving people an opportunity to see guns and learn background and history contemporary to the era in which they were made and used. As anyone who has done it more than a few times can attest, putting on a quality display essentially just for the goodness that's in it is expensive, time consuming, often very tiring at multi-day events, and a potential jeopardy for the guns that one displays in terms of damage through handling, packing and shipping, etc. Yes there are some highs to the effort; like seeing and examining the stunning FE grade that waltzed into the Vintagers tent last year. But there can also be some downright scary moments, like having a vehicle break down in the middle of nowhere while traveling alone with $50K+ worth of guns in the back............Kevin
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

Well said Kevin.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Any reports of great things seen/acquired at the show?

We took off on a road trip on 3 February that took us as far as Corpus Christi, Texas. Then around New Mexico, Arizona and California. When it was time to decide on Las Vegas we were in Lodi, California. Heading out to the coast to cool our heels at Ft. Bragg for a few days and then head home won out.
Share the knowledge