Interchange of Parts Lefever Nitro Special

Use this forum to discuss other vintage guns
Johnm11

Interchange of Parts Lefever Nitro Special

Post by Johnm11 »

Does anyone know if there are any parts that can interchange with a 16 gauge Lefever Nitro Special? Specifically firing pins and hammers but general rules, if known, would be helpful. I suspect 20 gauge might, but I don't have anything to compare to.

Thanks
Researcher

Re: Interchange of Parts Lefever Nitro Special

Post by Researcher »

Don't know if this will help much but here is a parts list from about 14 years after they quit making them.
Nitro Special parts pg 1.jpeg
Nitro Special partspg 2.jpeg
If you check out Walter Snyder's article in the latest The Double Gun Journal on the Nitro Special you'll see over the production run there were three different frames, so I'd guess there is more to Nitro Special parts then shown on this list.
Share the knowledge
Johnm11

Post by Johnm11 »

Thank you Researcher,

EDIT: It appears that the firing pin is different. The parts list states 'Give Gauge of Gun' after firing pin. At least I know the answer to that question. Now all I have to do is find a 16 gauge firing pin or make one. I need to get the old one out yet. I'm still making the tool(s) to do that.

I'll try to find the article. And that is the best parts list I have seen in my internet searches for this shotgun.

Thanks Again!

John M.
Mesa, AZ
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Here is the Ithaca Lefever parts list from the 1939 Stoeger catalog --
Nitro Special Parts List 1939 Stoeger.jpeg
Share the knowledge
Johnm11

Post by Johnm11 »

Thanks Researcher,

Reading through that:

"Extra barrels cost 1/2 the price of the entire gun"

John M.
Mesa, AZ
Johnm11

Post by Johnm11 »

To close this post off, the replacement firing pins I received from GunParts Corp. both appeared to be factory NOS with blue. GunParts didn't indicate that the firing pins were different for different gauges. Not surprising. Although they didn't fit they were very close. It may well be that Lefever (Ithaca) made different pins for different gauges. But I was able to fit the new pin (I only replaced one) for diameter with sand paper and length with a file.

The best information we have is that Lefever (Ithaca) required gauge when ordering new pins. I suspect they had only one size for all gauges but would size it for the gauge ordered. But, that is just a guess. The only think I know for sure is that the pins I got from GunParts could be fitted to a 16 gauge. YMMV.