Fox questions from a new guy

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Blockhead

Fox questions from a new guy

Post by Blockhead »

Hello everyone. Brand new guy here. A brother-in-law's client walked into his office a few weeks ago and handed him a few guns to keep. The first is a Winchester Model 90 in .22 WRF and a Fox side-by-side in 12 gauge. The client said no one in his family ever shot and they had been in storage for years. Anyone have an idea about this shotgun? History? Value? How safe to shoot? Based on the internet searches I would guess it was produced in 1924, but that's about all I can figure out.

fox-admin
Site Admin

Re: Fox questions from a new guy

Post by fox-admin »

Your Fox is a HE grade and very sought after by collectors. The gun appears in good condition and may be worth 2.5 to 3.5 thousand dollars depending on condition which requires a hands on inspection and or more high resolution pictures. The gun appears to be unmodified but has considerable wear from years spent in the duck blind. The Super Fox was a special built waterfowl gun. It is safe shoot but should be inspected by a gunsmith. See this link for more info

https://www.foxcollectors.com/fox-gun-g ... -directory

Craig Larter
superfoxcollector@gmail.com
Blockhead

Post by Blockhead »

fox-admin wrote:Your Fox is a HE grade and very sought after by collectors. The gun appears in good condition and may be worth 2.5 to 3.5 thousand dollars depending on condition which requires a hands on inspection and or more high resolution pictures. The gun appears to be unmodified but has considerable wear from years spent in the duck blind. The Super Fox was a special built waterfowl gun. It is safe shoot but should be inspected by a gunsmith. See this link for more info

https://www.foxcollectors.com/fox-gun-g ... -directory

Craig Larter
superfoxcollector@gmail.com
Thanks for the information. I snapped a few pictures of the barrel and action flat.

fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Yea a 30" barreled gun made with 2 3/4" chambers. Thanks
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

To the original poster, I don't feel comfortable calling you by your sign on name.

Welcome to the Fox Forum.

I'm sure a nice surprise to find out about your Fox, it being a very popular Super Fox HE 12 gauge and worth a few $$.

It looks like the left ejector guide pin is broke off. Fixable by the right person.

What's under the slip on recoil pad? Any other warts or sins not noticeable in your pictures.

Tell us, me especially, about your Winchester model 1890. Serial number and caliber. I'm also a Winchester .22 pump rifle fan.

Thank you.

Jolly
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

.…. another Super Fox comes "out of the weeds". Nice to see. Nice ol' gun.
tjw
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
Blockhead

Post by Blockhead »

jolly bill wrote:To the original poster, I don't feel comfortable calling you by your sign on name.

I'm sure a nice surprise to find out about your Fox, it being a very popular Super Fox HE 12 gauge and worth a few $$.

It looks like the left ejector guide pin is broke off. Fixable by the right person.

What's under the slip on recoil pad? Any other warts or sins not noticeable in your pictures.

Tell us, me especially, about your Winchester model 1890. Serial number and caliber. I'm also a Winchester .22 pump rifle fan.

Thank you.

Jolly
Pics of the 1890.

jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

Blockhead wrote:
jolly bill wrote:To the original poster, I don't feel comfortable calling you by your sign on name.

Thank you.

Jolly
Pics of the 1890.
(Deleted)

B_ _ _ H _ _ _,

Thanks for the pictures of your M1890 Winchester.

It looks like an early 3rd model in .22WRF and it looks like it may have been reblued.

Takes some of the desireability out of it for a collector but sure looks to be a dandy shooter.

And you can still get ammo for it. CCI loads it. You might not find it every where but it's out there.

Thanks again.

Is there another name we might call you besides B___H___?

Jolly
Blockhead

Post by Blockhead »

Jolly[/quote]

Is there another name we might call you besides B___H___?

Jolly[/quote]

Haha, Blockhead is fine. I've gone by that name on forums for years.

Took off the recoil pad and found this. I have no idea if this a stock option, or a later modification. The buttpad almost looks like it would fit the buttstock without that extension, but the grain also looks like it could match? :?:

vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Bet that gun knocked down some ducks in its day. Curious what the current LOP is on the gun to the end of the original wood? That will most likely tell you if that original stock was cut and then added back on later in life. Buttplate doesn't appear to be original either. PS. IMO that gun needs a restocking and maybe a bit more. Good candidate for a partial restoration IMO.