Fitting a forend

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Safeman

Fitting a forend

Post by Safeman »

First post . Does anyone have in depth understanding of how the ejector system functions. I acquired a ce grade 20 that did not have a forend . It
Sporrns

Re: Fitting a forend

Post by Sporrns »

There is a very basic 2-part series on the Fox ejector system by gunsmith Dennis Potter. It appears in our newsletter(s) of Fall 2015 (Part !) and Spring 2016 (Part 2). It includes diagrams and a discussion of both the early and later Fox ejector design and function. If you have an ejector gun, take care of it!! Repairs on any make ejector train are quite expensive to have done correctly the first time, and there are many horror stories of botched ejector jobs. The Fox design is as good as any and better than many in terms of form and function. An interesting component that bears attention in the Fox design is the ejector guide pin, which can occasionally bend and if you're really unlucky break off. There are a number of good posts on our site under "ejector guide pin replacement" that discuss these situations and how to remedy them.

Based on personal experience, in my opinion the British over-center tumbler design (often credited to Southgate but actually developed by Thomas Perkes, a London inventor who developed and patented many gun designs) is the simplest, strongest and most reliable. Conversely, a number of designs in my view are needlessly complicated and the very devil to repair. Expensive examples are the Parker and the Greener Facile Princeps design. Kevin
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

I'll add some brief comments in the next paragraph and explain why that is. I'm trying to be helpful though frankly it's become a time drain and burden to be answering tech questions gratis as I've done over the past 11 or so years. In addition to seeing them here I also get 1-2 PM's and emails a week and usually one reply leads to more questions and more replies. Anyway, it's gotten to be too much and I hope readers will understand and appreciate my situation.

I've replaced several Fox ejector forends and it's more complex than it might seem to get things right. The articles referenced by Kevin are good regarding operation of both ejector systems but they don't address the relationship of at least five critical fit points I can think of, to get an ejector forend from one Fox to properly work on another one. Your 20 bore CE will have the second type "Russell Patent" system. I suspect you want to do this work yourself but instructions would take many pages of text and pics to describe, and corresponding effort by a competent person to write up such a tutorial. Surely you don't want to goof up a very scarce 20 bore ejector forend (if you already have one) and/or the CE frame mechanism, and I recommend that you farm out the work to a good professional Fox gunsmith like Dan Rossiter of Athens PA or Dewey Vicknair of Lititz, also in PA. You can google them to get contact info.

frank
Aan
Brian Dudley

Post by Brian Dudley »

Frank,
If you do not want to answer technical questions, then dont.
I see no point in bitching about it, and then doing it anyway.
,Brian Dudley
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Nice. Things must be a little slow up in NY today. Brian, at least when I answer questions on Fox mechanics you can take the answer to the bank. I can't say that about everyone who does gunsmithing.

ADDED ON 4/6 -
Brian Dudley wrote:Frank,
Brian's snarky remark came out of the blue and has bothered me since yesterday. I've answered literally hundreds of questions gratis over the years and explained that it's gotten to be too much, tried to communicate that and asked for understanding. That doesn't sound like "bitching" to me. I've even helped Brian when he asked questions on assembly of a Fox SBT gun. I can only guess why he posted personal critique on a public forum.

So soon help can be forgotten.

frank
Aan
Safeman

Post by Safeman »

Got forend fitted and finished. Putting new finger latch didnt fit exactly right . It is not easy. But worth it. Slow and steady wins the race.
snakeeater

Post by snakeeater »

Silvers wrote:Nice. Things must be a little slow up in NY today. Brian, at least when I answer questions on Fox mechanics you can take the answer to the bank. I can't say that about everyone who does gunsmithing.

ADDED ON 4/6 -
Brian Dudley wrote:Frank,
Brian's snarky remark came out of the blue and has bothered me since yesterday. I've answered literally hundreds of questions gratis over the years and explained that it's gotten to be too much, tried to communicate that and asked for understanding. That doesn't sound like "bitching" to me. I've even helped Brian when he asked questions on assembly of a Fox SBT gun. I can only guess why he posted personal critique on a public forum.

So soon help can be forgotten. Well said Frank.

frank