Loose Top Rib

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Woody

Loose Top Rib

Post by Woody »

I noticed Last night the top rib on my 16 Sterlingworth is loose the last 3 inches. Any recommendations on someone to repair it?
Fin2Feather

Re: Loose Top Rib

Post by Fin2Feather »

I talked to several smiths about mine and ultimately sent it to Steve Bertram in Colorado. He did a great job but that's a long way from New York! I'm sure some folks here will come up with some names for you; I've forgotten who all I talked with.
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

CSMC might be able to repair it. Brian Dudley could for sure, but I think he has a long long backup right now. Another choice is Turnbull.
Woody

Post by Woody »

vaturkey wrote:CSMC might be able to repair it. Brian Dudley could for sure, but I think he has a long long backup right now. Another choice is Turnbull.

I talked to Brian about another project. Said he’s not taking any work right now. Turnbull is my last option even though they are close. I don’t want to tie the gun up if possible for a long time. Need it for grouse season. Loctite Black Max is always an option LOL.
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

Kirk Merrington is an option but he says he'll only do it if he can relay the ribs; claims a spot repair never works. I couldn't afford that so I opted for the spot repair; hope Kirk is wrong :shock: !
Brian Dudley

Post by Brian Dudley »

Turnbull does not do their rib work in house anyway.

And, yes. Rib work is pretty far down on my list of favorite things to do.
,Brian Dudley
Woody

Post by Woody »

Top rib is fixed. Looks awesome. Come to find out it wasn’t lifting just at the muzzle. After looking it over my smith said it was a poor solder job from the factory and he need to relay the whole rib.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Just out of curiosity what is the vintage of the guns you all have had loose rib issues with? I've had loose ribs on two 12-gauge guns, both in the 214xx serial number range. The front half of the bottom rib of Meat-in-the-Pot popped loose after I'd been shooting it over 45 years and Keith Kearcher fixed it while my Wife and I toured the Newberry National Volcanic Monument. The barrels rang like church chimes. Four years later the back half of the bottom rib popped loose. I dropped the gun off at Bachelders on my way home from Hausemann's in 2016 and a bit over a year later I had the gun back with the ribs relayed and the barrels reblued. Only shot a handful of Pheasants with it during the 2017-8 season.
Share the knowledge
Woody

Post by Woody »

Researcher wrote:Just out of curiosity what is the vintage of the guns you all have had loose rib issues with? I've had loose ribs on two 12-gauge guns, both in the 214xx serial number range. The front half of the bottom rib of Meat-in-the-Pot popped loose after I'd been shooting it over 45 years and Keith Kearcher fixed it while my Wife and I toured the Newberry National Volcanic Monument. The barrels rang like church chimes. Four years later the back half of the bottom rib popped loose. I dropped the gun off at Bachelders on my way home from Hausemann's in 2016 and a bit over a year later I had the gun back with the ribs relayed and the barrels reblued. Only shot a handful of Pheasants with it during the 2017-8 season.

The serial number on my gun is 356xxx. It’s a 16 ga 26” Sterlingworth. It’s the one pictured I shot the ducks with last week.
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

Researcher wrote:Just out of curiosity what is the vintage of the guns you all have had loose rib issues with? I've had loose ribs on two 12-gauge guns, both in the 214xx serial number range. The front half of the bottom rib of Meat-in-the-Pot popped loose after I'd been shooting it over 45 years and Keith Kearcher fixed it while my Wife and I toured the Newberry National Volcanic Monument. The barrels rang like church chimes. Four years later the back half of the bottom rib popped loose. I dropped the gun off at Bachelders on my way home from Hausemann's in 2016 and a bit over a year later I had the gun back with the ribs relayed and the barrels reblued. Only shot a handful of Pheasants with it during the 2017-8 season.
16ga A grade, 28" barrels, #301xxx
Brian Dudley

Post by Brian Dudley »

As a sidebar, almost every set of fox barrels that I personally have re-blued, have voids in the solder joints. Some worse than others.
,Brian Dudley