MM's chart of barrel weights

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Researcher

Re: MM's chart of barrel weights

Post by Researcher »

Perhaps there was a typo in the 1992 1st Edition of the book,
Yes, it is in the First Edition. That must be one of the very few corrections that was made for the Second Edition!
Share the knowledge
bamboozler

Post by bamboozler »

In his book on A.H. Fox and in the chapter Over Here, Over There where the barrel weight charts are shown, McIntosh made mention that "According to factory standards, barrels could not vary more than one ounce per pair from the weights specified", but makes no mention of another notation shown in the chart that both he and Researcher received "Allowance for finish is included in given dimensions".

The above gets me scratching my head as why this notation was omitted and what "Allowance for finish is included in given dimensions" actually means :?: Have you any ideas :?:

More mystery. More mystique.
loggy

Post by loggy »

I enjoy reading all of the information that is available. The gun making process is interesting. At the end of the day what is important is how the gun handles, not a number stamped on the barrel. I have a 101 Winchester that belonged to a friend that I hunt with on occasion. I will admit that it is a bit of a chore to carry compared to my Fox. John
bamboozler

Post by bamboozler »

I agree, at the end of the day most of us want a gun that handles well. But, as we know, some could care less. Each and every thread is not for each and every one. However, there are some that like to delve a little deeper, it's them that get a kick out of the esoteric stuff. A thread like this is for them.