Fox Sterlingworth

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Bigfoot12

Re: Fox Sterlingworth

Post by Bigfoot12 »

Only one forearm with the set. I wonder which custom shop engraved the Fox on the gun?
Attachments
20180414_143108.jpg
20180414_142507.jpg
20180414_142807.jpg
20180414_142747.jpg
20180414_230546.jpg
FoxintheHenHouse

Post by FoxintheHenHouse »

The "fox" does not look like custom shop work to me.

FoxintheHenHouse
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Getting more interesting, is it the Chicopee barrel that has the vent rib?
Aan
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Curiouser and curiouser!!

A set of Chic Falls vent rib barrels!! First time I've seen that. Looks like it was a set of barrels made for a more typical Savage-era high-frame Ansley H. Fox vent rib gun and then the rib extension and back part of the rib worked down into a ramp ala the Parker Bros. vent rib.

On the receiver it looks like someone ran wild with an electric pencil, doing stippling, but at some points having trouble staying within the lines. A real collection of mysteries. The Fox (?) on the trigger-plate is quite a piece of folk art.

Oh, if these old guns could only talk.
Share the knowledge
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Just based on that one pic I'm wondering if this is a Chicopee VR barrel, possibly made for a high-framed TRAP GRADE or similar, that now has a Sterly type forend hanger instead of the Deeley type. Converted by a gunsmith?

Has anyone noticed the safety pushrod that's fitted inside the forearm? See next to last pic. EZ to revert to an auto safety without looking for that pushrod that was put away long ago, somewhere .....

Also if you expand the last pic you can see the Chicopee barrel breech doesn't match the radius of the left breech ball all that well.

Nevertheless the gun does have possibilities for someone who has an inexpensive but good gunsmith :wink: to get both barrels on the face and matching up with the contours of the breech balls, also to properly machine that ramp on the Chicopee barrel and to get some engraving on it to simulate the matting. Alternately, to salvage the Chicopee VR barrel to fit to another Fox.

Lots of work either way and JMO of course.

frank
Aan
Mike of the Mountain

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

Good pick up on that push rod Frank!
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Curious what state this gun is in. I saw something similar to this at a gunshop located in Winchester Va several years ago.
Bigfoot12

Post by Bigfoot12 »

It's a small world out there between Philadelphia and Utica
fullchoke16

Post by fullchoke16 »

Appears to be "engraved" via center punch. Certainly a conversation starter at the hunting camp.
Recoil is most noticed when I miss