Sterlingworth Lever Spring

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Kenner

Sterlingworth Lever Spring

Post by Kenner »

Howdy all,

I have a Sterlingworth that has had the lever spring removed. It was given to me to try to get it back together. For the life of me I can't compress the spring and follower enough to screw in the ball screw. Is there a trick to it or does a jig have to be made?

Thanks very much

Kenner
Kenner

Re: Sterlingworth Lever Spring

Post by Kenner »

I answered my own question. The trouble that I had, was attempting to install a spring of the proper size from another gun. I was thinking that all of the receivers were the same. The reason that I couldn't compress the spring enough is that the holes for them were of different depths. After shortening the spring a little at a time, I was able to get everything back together and it functions properly. Oh and I also made up a little jig by splitting the black of a sacrificial screwdriver to compress without messing up the tip of the Top Lever Spring Follower.

Cheers
bbman3

Re: Sterlingworth Lever Spring

Post by bbman3 »

I use the hardwood handle on my hammer to push with while installing the screw. Bobby