Advice for a Vintage Shotgun Newbie

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
TOOL MAN

Re: Advice for a Vintage Shotgun Newbie

Post by TOOL MAN »

[quote="Cthulhu"] I have a bit of the collector gene in me and don't imagine this will be my last A.H. Fox shotgun...
H.jpg
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!!!!
Not quite as injurious to your health (financial type aside) but every bit as addictive!!

Congrats on the purchase. Might I suggest joining our ever-expanding asylum? Best $30 you'll ever spend!
And you will receive one FREE production card look-up that might yield a bit more info on that early, 20 bore.
On the whole....I'd rather be in Philadelphia....
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Last edited by Cthulhu on Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Cthulhu wrote:
Silvers wrote:
Cthulhu wrote: - First year a 20-gauge is known to have shipped (CE Grade, No 200011)
Huh, you might want to check on that. :)
"First 20-gauge gun known shipped, September 17; CE Grade, No. 200011"
- A.H. Fox - The Finest Gun In The World by Michael McIntosh
Yup I was aware that came from MM's book. To continue on the history theme, the gun likely to be 200011 is shown (in the AHFCA records) with a somewhat earlier "must have by" date. I presume MM got a Savage historian lookup and actual ship date for it. I wonder if MM ever did a search of the Sterlingworth 20 bore records? The new small bores were advertised in the American Field on June 1, 1912 and I seem to remember one of our comrades posting about a May advert in another sporting publication. From the June 1 advert: "Sportsmen will do well to call on your dealers early to see these new models." The underscore here is mine. I doubt Fox would be urging gents to visit dealers if 16 and 20 bore Sterlies weren't there or pretty darn close in the pipeline.

Let me second Tool Man's suggestion that you join the AHFCA. There are phantom forums here, only available to paying members.

frank
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Cards for the very earliest graded 20-gauges are missing, 200000, 200001 & 200002. They are very likely guns that were displayed here over a year earlier then 200011 shipped --
The Ohio State Journal, Columbus, June 21, 1911
The Ohio State Journal, Columbus, June 21, 1911
Share the knowledge
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Last edited by Cthulhu on Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TOOL MAN

Post by TOOL MAN »

CT,

Super....welcome to our house of worship!!

Correct me if I'm wrong Dave/Frank but didn't we have #200002 or 200003 on display down at Pintail one year???
On the whole....I'd rather be in Philadelphia....
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Cth, I probably misread your intent in posting all that historical info from the MM Fox book, perhaps you were hyped from finding a 1912 A H Fox 20 bore. I apologize too and welcome you to the fold. Once you're enabled as a member you'll find much advanced info in the Members Forums to feed a Fox addiction..

Tool, I went back to read my notes on those Pintail years and didn't find anything on one of those. Neither do I remember seeing one. But the latter point may not mean much. :lol: frank
Last edited by Silvers on Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

CE-Grade 200002 was at our booth a couple of times.
Interestingly the top of the right barrel is marked -- "Chromox" High Pressure Fluid Steel. As I recall the watertable was marked that way also, like 200001 that Tom Kidd showed pictures of in The Double Gun Journal, Volume One, Issue 2, page 82, but I don't have a picture of the watertable of 200002. Tom also showed us 200000 in Volume Six, Issue 1, pages 39-44. From the pictures in that article it appears the right barrel of 200000 carries the normal roll-stamp. Also of note, 200002 has a Deeley latch forearm?!?
Share the knowledge
foxgun

Post by foxgun »

Cthulhu wrote:I've decided to purchase the gun and, please don't be mad, open the right barrel slightly to a modified choke. I decided to do this after finding out from the seller that the gun was altered before and not "untouched collector grade"....... Here's what I know about her and why I couldn't pass her up.

1912 A Grade 20 gauge
30" barrels,
Very early (pre-Gough era) pristine engraving
Snap-on Kremer splinter forend
Beautiful original French walnut stock with 1/2 Round pistol grip
- Early serial number - 200029

Please forgive me for the alteration. I will soon have a real A.H. Fox in my possession which is something that I've aspired to for over 20 years. I will see to it that this fine lady sees many more days in the field.
Cthulhu,
I hope you enjoy your purchase. I saw that gun on Jay's site a few months ago and called about it but it had already been sold. I guess the sale didn't get completed or you are getting it from Jay's buyer but it was an interesting gun. I see he still has it listed. A nice 30" 20 ga will be a fun gun for sure.
Enjoy,
Best
Tim
Mike of the Mountain

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

A 30" 20g Fox!! That just might have a shot (no pun intended) at the AHFGCA Small Bore Championship trophy. Just sayin'.