Rib work

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
CableguyJJS3

Rib work

Post by CableguyJJS3 »

Ok so my rage has finally let up enough that I can talk about this. Last summer I managed to pick up a 98% original 12ga Sterly for real good money, love the gun and I shot good with it. Unfortunately about 5 months ago I was shooting, and about 75 rounds into a 100 round course I noticed the top rib had lifted about 2" from the muzzle end back. Needless to say I was furious, shot the rest of the round and put the gun away and haven't been able to touch it since. I know I need to address this and have it fixed. Question is, any shot I can preserve the originality and have the rib fixed and not have to reblue, or am I stuck having them relayed and reblued? Any recommendations for a smith? Jim
Brian Dudley

Re: Rib work

Post by Brian Dudley »

Getting that repaired without needing to blue would be very tricky and the soundness of the repair would always be questionable.
,Brian Dudley
CableguyJJS3

Post by CableguyJJS3 »

Yeah that's what I was afraid of Brian. And with all the value in the originality, all that goes right out the window with a reblue. And now it becomes just a nice common 28" 12ga Philly Sterly, the most common of the most common. Oh well, such is life I suppose.
DarylC

Post by DarylC »

But Jim, it'll still be a Fox so maybe you could hang up your wonderful Lefever's next year at Ernie's for the day and shoot for Fox. You're always welcome to shoot on our dysfunctional squad and the rumor has it I may be toting a new to me Lefever to play with. By the way, if you let Brian relay your rib you won't be sorry.
Owning a Fox is not a spectator sport.