Fox Paper Lot

Use this section to discuss Fox paper, catalog's, advertising and such.
JasonPeck

Fox Paper Lot

Post by JasonPeck »

This interesting lot of Fox paper sold for $538 yesterday. "#1. Small Fox Catalog with 1921 price list, 40 pages, #2. Booklet, How To Buy A Gun, 15 pages, #3. Reprint of a Newspaper article ''News Of The Trap, Stream and Woods'', Believed to be sent together when a catalog was requested. Grade: Excellent"
7010.jpg
7010.jpg (53.45 KiB) Viewed 6894 times
AHFCA Life Member
mobirdhunter

Re: Fox Paper Lot

Post by mobirdhunter »

I will let you know what it looks like when it arrives. Any one know anything about the newspaper copy?

Post by 200052 »

Mobirdhunter: If you got the Ward's package, the 1921 price list sheet, that is the 3 X 5 little page, would be worth $100.00
to me. It's worth about $20, see pat mckune's listings, but I am trying to fill in some gaps. Regret running the price up on you,
but I would have bought it all to get that little price page. If you have any interest in a sale or trade call me at Kansas City 816-640-2341 Ed Farrand
"Protect Yourself - BUY A FOX PROVED & TESTED GUN"
c1911 Blue and red hang tag.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

The 40-page pocket "Fox Gets the Game" catalog didn't strike me as the right one to go with a 1921 Retail Price List. I'd think the 32-page version.
Share the knowledge
mobirdhunter

Post by mobirdhunter »

I don't have the catalog, etc. yet. I want to check what guns are listed to see what the date might be. I have only the McIntosh book to use as a guide, and I only saw reference to one catalog of this design that had page numbers noted (the 1918 version at 32 pages). Is there a reference that has more information than the what is in the McIntosh book?

Not sure about a sale or trade of the price list without examining everything, so I'll need to wait on that.

Ed, I see you are in or near Weston. I'm about 3 1/2 hours east of you. Are you going to the Sporting Collectables show in Chillicothe the first weekend in June?

Researcher, what do you know about the 40 page version of this catalog?

Thanks!!
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

In my collection I have --

Circa 1917, 32 pages, with the Net Prices printed in the catalog and the Blue Ribbon pasted on the cover.

A 36-page catalog with a November 30th, 1919, price list which still includes the B-/BE-Grade and only has the J-, K- and L-Grade SBTs.

The same 36-page catalog with a December 1st, 1919, price list without the B-/BE-Grade and including the M-Grade SBT at $500.00.

A 32-page catalog which no longer shows the B-/BE-Grades with a February 1st, 1920, price list.

Same 32-page catalog with the January 1st, 1921, price list.

A 40-page catalog which doesn't include the Super-Fox but has two January 1st, 1923, price lists, one with the Super-Fox at $125 (matches the price in the early Super-Fox brochure) and one at $100. The price list with the $125 is actually a photocopy the Headricks did for me. Both price lists state "Super Fox 12 Gauge Only."

A 40-page catalog which includes the Super-Fox in 12- and 20-gauges and has a January 1st, 1924, price list which still says "Super Fox 12 Gauge Only." This one in the original envelope postmarked Philadelphia 1924.
Share the knowledge
mobirdhunter

Post by mobirdhunter »

Researcher wrote:In my collection I have --

Circa 1917, 32 pages, with the Net Prices printed in the catalog and the Blue Ribbon pasted on the cover.

A 36-page catalog with a November 30th, 1919, price list which still includes the B-/BE-Grade and only has the J-, K- and L-Grade SBTs.

The same 36-page catalog with a December 1st, 1919, price list without the B-/BE-Grade and including the M-Grade SBT at $500.00.

A 32-page catalog which no longer shows the B-/BE-Grades with a February 1st, 1920, price list.

Same 32-page catalog with the January 1st, 1921, price list.

A 40-page catalog which doesn't include the Super-Fox but has two January 1st, 1923, price lists, one with the Super-Fox at $125 (matches the price in the early Super-Fox brochure) and one at $100. The price list with the $125 is actually a photocopy the Headricks did for me. Both price lists state "Super Fox 12 Gauge Only."

A 40-page catalog which includes the Super-Fox in 12- and 20-gauges and has a January 1st, 1924, price list which still says "Super Fox 12 Gauge Only." This one in the original envelope postmarked Philadelphia 1924.
Wow...really helpful -- thanks. Cannot wait to compare what comes with your notes.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

The information in McIntosh's book is essentially what the Headricks, myself and a handful of others knew in the late 1980s. We've learned a lot in the quarter century since the book was published.
Share the knowledge
mobirdhunter

Post by mobirdhunter »

Researcher wrote:The information in McIntosh's book is essentially what the Headricks, myself and a handful of others knew in the late 1980s. We've learned a lot in the quarter century since the book was published.
Gosh..."learned a lot..." seems an understatement. So, why not put together another Fox book? Looks like there's plenty of new material (and it might help develop the next generation of doubles shooters so that we, er, more mature shooters -- that would be me -- might have a new legacy). In any event, I sure do appreciate your taking the time to respond so thoroughly.

Take care!
mobirdhunter

Post by mobirdhunter »

Catalog, etc. arrived yesterday. The 1921 price list is tipped in on the sterlingworth page. Catalog and price sheet do not have the HE listed in it, nor the BE. It does indeed have 40 pages.

The newspaper reprint is not dated, and it features a Fox single and double among its photos. Anyone know anything about it...or has anyone seen it before?
JasonPeck

Post by JasonPeck »

I have never seen the newspaper reprint before and it may be unique in Foxdom. Is there anything in the text or gun models shown that could indicate the date?
AHFCA Life Member
mobirdhunter

Post by mobirdhunter »

JasonPeck wrote:I have never seen the newspaper reprint before and it may be unique in Foxdom. Is there anything in the text or gun models shown that could indicate the date?
Jason,

The article is noted as a "reprint from the Pittsburgh Gazette Times," by Gib Marsh, and is entitled "Trap Shooting Guns Must Fit to Get Results." There are pictures of multiple guns including double-, single-, and pump trap guns. None of the guns is identified beneath the pictures (there are just numbers), except that there is a caption (appears not to have been part of the original article to me) that identifies the two Fox guns -- a single, and what appears to be an XE grade. The article mentions two individuals: W. H. "Pop" Schuyler and Woolfork Anderson of Lexington, KY. It notes that gun no. 1 (the Fox single) was the only gun not brought to the repair tent at the Grand American Handicap in Cleveland, OH, and that none of the double trap guns was brought in for repairs. This looks like a piece that Fox could have reprinted and added the identification of the two Fox guns pictured. The piece, on newsprint, has been stored folded to correspond to the size of the small catalog and brochure.

Without any further research, it looks like piece that might have accompanied the catalog and brochure. At first blush, it rings true.
Attachments
IMG_3165.JPG
IMG_3163.JPG
IMG_3164.JPG
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

The Grand American Handicap was held at Cleveland, Ohio, in 1920. In 1919, 1921 and 1923 it was at Chicago's North Shore Country Club. In 1922 it was held at Atlantic City, New Jersey, and beginning in 1924 they settled in at the ATA's permanent home at Vandalia, Ohio.

That should be Woolfolk Henderson, of Lexington, Kentucky. Woolfolk was a long time professional shooter and won the 1914 GAH. I know at one time he was shooting a Lefever and representing Peters Cartridge Co.

That sheet would look mighty nice matted, framed and hanging on the wall of the man cave.
Share the knowledge
mobirdhunter

Post by mobirdhunter »

Researcher wrote:The Grand American Handicap was held at Cleveland, Ohio, in 1920. In 1919, 1921 and 1923 it was at Chicago's North Shore Country Club. In 1922 it was held at Atlantic City, New Jersey, and beginning in 1924 they settled in at the ATA's permanent home at Vandalia, Ohio.

That should be Woolfolk Henderson, of Lexington, Kentucky. Woolfolk was a long time professional shooter and won the 1914 GAH. I know at one time he was shooting a Lefever and representing Peters Cartridge Co.

That sheet would look mighty nice matted, framed and hanging on the wall of the man cave.
Based on your information it seems likely that all of these materials may have been included in a mailing of the catalog, and at least places everything at the 1921 date.

I agree that the article will make a nice framed piece for the wall of my studio. Thanks again for the great information!
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

I'm comfortable in my mind that A.H. Fox Gun Co. likely edited the annotations for the pictures to only list their guns and printed up a run of these to mail out with catalogs. We need an ambitious member to check archives for the original of the article.
Share the knowledge