sterlingworth 20...

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
twopiper

sterlingworth 20...

Post by twopiper »

I have a few questions that I thought you Fox guys could help me with.
I recently aquired a 20ga Utica Sterlingworth ejector. From mining this site and Mac's book for information I have an early 1930 gun with Philly features and 28" Savage pipes. The gun appears to have been carried little and shot less, based on the amount of remaining case colors and very slight wear on the breach face from the ejectors which I assume are reset upon closing the gun. The varnish on the stock is somewhat rough with small flaking to the stain in a couple spots. The wood to metal/grip cap/buttplate fit is excellent. Do you believe that the finish is original?
The length of pull is 14". Do any of you guys use a slip on pad to increase LOP? If so which one have you found to work best?
Were the Utica built guns with 28" barrels chambered for 2 3/4" shells and choked full/mod or were other chamberings/chokings made? Thanks for your input. Twopiper.
Chuck Heald

Post by Chuck Heald »

It's near impossible to tell if the finish is original from just your discription. But rough, shiney finish is a give away for a quick and dirty refinish. It's pretty common to see a gun this old with a refinish, either well done or not so well done, and some very old refinishes.

You may be able to see a chamber length marking on the barrel watertable.

I dunno about the chokes. You may have to measure them to be sure since whatever they left the factory with may not be what they are today.

I have a Galco leather slipon pad laying around.
Regards,
Chuck Heald
al smith

slip on pads

Post by al smith »

I have tried the galco pads and they work well but have a tendency to fall off the stock when hunting in heavy brush. The galco pads come in several sizes (small, medium, large, etc.) so you need to make sure you buy one that will fit your stock. I have also used a vintage lace on pad (unknown maker) that doesn't look as good but stays on a little better.
FRBRIT

Post by FRBRIT »

Twopiper, I can't help you much with the finish question, but here is a link to the Galazan web site. They are closing out kick killer slip-on recoil pad's at the killer price of $25.00 each, the Galco's are at least twice this price.

https://www.csmcspecials.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=40

For all the other Fox guy's they also have several Fox Forearms on the same link some of them with Irons. They are real proud of them, but they are there for the taking!
Life Member A.H. Fox Collectors Association Inc.