L.C. Smith Grades

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Jeff S

L.C. Smith Grades

Post by Jeff S »

Many of the Fox collectors are also knowledgeable regarding other brands. I just held a 16 ga. L.C. Smith and I think it said "Ideal Grade" (I wasn't wearing my classes). Does anyone have an opinion on how that gun compares to a Fox?
OH Osthaus

Re: L.C. Smith Grades

Post by OH Osthaus »

The ideal grade was one step up from the field grade

So I guess an A grade comparison

The engraving is a large leafy design, not as fine as an A's second variation

I have one, a Longrange model

I like it

http://www.lcsmith.org/images/grades/Ideal2.jpg

http://www.lcsmith.org/shotguns/1913grades.html
"If there is a heaven it must have thinning aspen gold, and flighting woodcock, and a bird dog" GBE
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Thanks! The one in your picture looks a lot nicer than the one I just handled.
OH Osthaus

Post by OH Osthaus »

a better look at the engraving - my longrange

"If there is a heaven it must have thinning aspen gold, and flighting woodcock, and a bird dog" GBE
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Yup, that looks just like the 16 ga. I handled. Thanks
CableguyJJS3

Post by CableguyJJS3 »

I have an Ideal Grade 16ga Smith and I am big fan of it. Someone polished the frame and reblued the tubes along with some kinda clear concrete for finish on the wood. Real heavy thick hard as a rock varnish got runs all over it, they redid the checkering on the butt but not the forend, and it's majorly pitted in the tubes from end to end both sides, but I wouldn't trade it for anything!! I shoot the crap out of that gun and don't miss much with it. 30" extractor non featherweight with a very early short run forend release, or so I'm told. In my opinion great guns and well worth the money if you can find one reasonable and in decent shape. As always be wary of the infamous splits in the wood behind the lock plates.
jimmartin

Post by jimmartin »

I have one in 20ga, great gun, mine also has the Curtis forearm release , made in 1919. The engraving really looks good if you have any case colors left.