Air pockets in recoil pads

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Stan Hillis

Air pockets in recoil pads

Post by Stan Hillis »

I ground an original red Hawkins with parallel slots, last week, and was very disappointed to find that there were numerous little air pockets in the rubber in the toe area. They did not show up until the final 1/16" of material removal. I tried to fill them with the rubber dust and cyanoacrylate, but it didn't work. Very disappointed.

Is this a common thing or a rarity?

SRH
bbman3

Re: Air pockets in recoil pads

Post by bbman3 »

Stan that is a bummer! I have never ground an original Hawkins.Bobby
terc

Post by terc »

I've ground three original Hawkins pads. Two were good , I had to throw one away.
Dave
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

I've seen boxes of loose Hawkins pads both heart vented and straight slot at the larger SxS shows and priced at $25 to 35 per pad. Generally after fitting, these loose pads will have wavy bases (irregular thickness) or air holes in the rubber. The wavy base is more common. There was a tale a few years ago that barrels of them were found in a barn in SD, and a more recent version of the tale included that the pads were rejects brought home by a factory worker. After wasting money on a bunch of them I give credence at least to the part of the story about them being rejects. Generally you'll be money ahead by finding one that's still in its box which usually indicates it was made right. frank
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

I have several still in the original box, but wanted to use this one on this particular gun, a Sterly ejector. I have an original No Kick Coming I could use, or one of the boxed original Hawkins', I guess. Live and learn, thanks all, for the info.

SRH
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

The original source of the defective pads was Herschel Chaddick.
Sterlingwyat

Post by Sterlingwyat »

How come none of you use the Galazan reproduction pads? Is there something wrong with them?
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

They're ok. They just don't have the little box, underneath the bottom screw hole I think, that says "Pat'd". Other than that they look pretty good to me.

SRH