Fox SW 16 ga (circa 1935) Chambers & Stock

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Ducks Rx

Fox SW 16 ga (circa 1935) Chambers & Stock

Post by Ducks Rx »

Greetings, First time poster
Just acquired 16 ga SW made 1935 in very good condition, has normal hunting usage scars but apparently no abuse..wil be my grouse gun for hunting in Blue Ridge Mtns of NC.
Don't have a way to measure chambers so not sure of length. It doesn't have chamber length on barrels like pictures of late model SW. I have shot using 2.5 in reloads with 7/8 oz shot and international clays powder with 7400 psi.
I would like to shoot same load but with a polywad spreader insert but will only fit in a 2 & 3/4 in hull. Would this be harmful if my SW has short chambers?
Also curious as to if anyone has had luck having stock bent to decrease DAC by 1/8 in and DAH by 3/8 in? Also recommendations on stock alters
Thanks in advance. This is a great association and I am excited about finding my life long persute of a 16 ga SW just like my late Uncle's whom taught me to be a bird hunter over 50 years ago.
bbman3

Re: Fox SW 16 ga (circa 1935) Chambers & Stock

Post by bbman3 »

Welcome you have a great gun and I can not answer your questions about reloading but you can buy 2 1/2 inch spreader shells from RST .Chambers are probably around 2 9/16 and I would shoot only 2 1/2 shells in it but I have shot 2 3/4 inch shells in my short chamber 16s. Bobby
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

I think some of the stocks can be bent and some can't. Lot depends on the grain flow. Mike Orlen has bent more then a few and he might be a good one to call. He can also give the gun a good looking over and check barrel wall thickness for you. FWIW, most folks do shoot RST ammo in their Foxes, but I've heard some folks have been shooting some of the Herters shells 16 gauge ammo made in Italy and marketed through Cabelas with good success. They appear to be fairly lite, but not RST lite. If your a grouse hunter in NC you are probably only going to shoot about a box of shells ever ten years so that shouldn't affect the gun much. :)
bamboozler

Post by bamboozler »

I sent Mike Orlen a 20-ga. Sterlingworth with an original stock that had a 2 3/4" D@H and 14" LOP with instructions to bend it up as far as he felt comfortable doing. It was returned with a 2 3/8" D@H. Your results may vary.
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

Wouldn't a '35 Sterly have 2-3/4" chambers?
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
Ducks Rx

Post by Ducks Rx »

It doesn't have the markings on barrel stating 2 & 3/4 in and I don't have a chamber measuring device, so just assumed had 2 & 9/16 in chambers.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Chamber depth is considered to be the distance between the breech end of the barrels and the joint between the chamber body itself and the forcing cone, which reduces down to bore diameter. This is loosely based on the length of the "Fired" shell. Today, theoretically when the crimp opens on the shell being fired the end would land at the junction of the chamber and cone. Prior to WW-II many companies had the practice of holding the chamber about 1/8 inch shorter than the shell for which it was intended. Fly in the ointment is nominal measurements often differ from actual ones in both chambers and shells. A very good method I have found of measuring chambers without much outlay of cash, and is quite accurate enough for virtually any situation, is a common 6" flexible machinist's scale which you likely have. Hold the barrels with muzzles toward a light source, not necessarily a concentrated one a window is great, while looking into the breech and the cone will be thrown in a shadow. May have to move the barrels around a little until it is distinct. While still looking into the chamber simply slide the scale in until you observe the end coming flush with the shadow line & mark position of breech end with your thumb. Remove and read the scale. I usually repeat this a few times to insure I am getting a consistent reading, but you will be amazed how accurate this can be done. While I own a Galazan chamber gauge, I use this more often than not. The chamber body itself has a taper of about .005" per inch. Sometimes chambers were cut with slightly worn reamers giving a slight undersize chamber. If the chamber is a bit undersize a gauge made to "industry" standards will not go in to the true depth of the chamber. A.H. Fox Gun Co. shotguns are known for having tight chambers. The machinist’s scale method can be more accurate.
Share the knowledge
Ducks Rx

Post by Ducks Rx »

Thanks to all for responses. Found a gsmith locally that had chamber gauge and my SW has 2 & 3/4 in chambers and choked right barrel Modified and left Full choke.