Anyone into Llewellins?

Use this forum to post pictures of hunting with your Fox.
Twice Barrel

Re: Anyone into Llewellins?

Post by Twice Barrel »

Nice looking Tri-color. 200 yards isn't bad if you can find her on point. My second to last Dashing Bondhu would have done well in the all age field trials. He used to run so big I would tell folks that when I was hunting I Geary county old Riley would be hunting in Dickinson county but he would check in every few minutes to let you know where he was. I remember one day hunting Sage Grouse on the sage brush flats along the North Platte river in Colorado he was ranging out to at least a half mile, perhaps a bit farther but always keeping track of me and holding birds when he found them. Damn miss that dog.
Vernal pike

Post by Vernal pike »

Highway Dan, one of the most famous Llewellen setters of all time.

http://www.llewellinsetter.net/HIGHDAN.HTM

Last summer I considered a pup out of Highway Rex (son of Dan) and spoke to Mr. Gaines about it.
But eventually decided on a pup from Hank's line, King lineage.
DumblikeaFox

Post by DumblikeaFox »

Those are beautiful dogs and those are some vey classy looking points. In terms of bidable-ness and over all demeanor would you owners classify them as similar to the English setters?

I'm very much a novice to the pointer game and have owned one Britt whose faults were fairly few and all mine. His loss is still painful but I am tempted daily.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Llewellin is one bloodline of English Setter.

http://www.nalba.org/llewellin_setters.htm

There are a lot more dogs called Llewellin then are actually registered as such in the Field Dog Stud Book (FDSB) of Chicago. My FDSB papers on Mahoney's Skitso show English Setter, not Llewellin --

Share the knowledge
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

This might prove helpful:

Q: What is a Llewellin Setter?

It’s a very specific, pure strain of “English Setter with bloodline’s tracing back to the breeding program of nineteenth century sportsman R. L. Purcell Llewellin. Llewellin and Edward Laverack played a key role in the development of the breed. Llewellin’s name has been irrevocably associated with those English Setters bred for field work.” It should be noted that not all field-type English Setters are FDSB Registered Llewellin Setters, and “Llewellin-type” setters are not FDSB registered Llewellin Setters. The generic use of the term ‘Llewellin’ for all field-type English Setters does NOT mean that the dog is a registered Llewellin. If the dog is not registered as Llewellin with the Field Dog Stud Book (FDSB) of Chicago, then, it is not technically a Llewellin in an historic sense. Llewellin bloodline’s include Dashing Bondhu (= Scinn Amach = Luathas), Wind’em (= Machad = Cloncurragh = Advie (but >90% Dashing)), Bomber, Gladstone, Tony-O, Royacelle and Blizzard.

“In the mid-1860s, R.L. Purcell Llewellin of Pembrokeshire, South Wales, began his breeding program utilizing dogs obtained from Laverack. Llewellin was primarily interested in developing dogs for field work, and he experimented with various crosses before discovering the nick that would ultimately establish his name as a synonym for topnotch field-bred English Setters.” As an aside, confusion also stems from the fact that the AKC does not recognise the Llewellin separately from English, and they refer to all “field-type” English setters as “Llewellin” which is technically incorrect.

“Llewellin’s breakthrough occurred when he purchased two dogs, Dan and Dick, while attending a field trial at Shewbury in 1871. Dan and Dick were sons of a dog named Duke, owned by Barclay Field, and a bitch named Rhoebe (Rhoebe’s dam was half Gordon and half South Esk, a now extinct breed), owned by Thomas Statter; both of these dogs were out of northern England stock noted for outstanding field work. Llewellin bred Dan and Dick to his Laverack females, and a new era in bird dog history was begun.”

“The Duke, Rhoebe, and Laverack crossing produced exactly what Llewellin was looking for, and the offspring quickly attracted the notice of sportsmen in both England and North America. Dan proved to be especially preponent, and it was he who sired Gladstone, one of the most important Llewellin’s of all time. Gladstone quickly established himself as a top field performer and sire. His achievements contributed greatly to the surge of popularity the Llewellin’s were soon to enjoy.”

“Today, only the Field Dog Stud Book (FDSB) of Chicago, published by American Field, recognizes Llewellin’s as those English Setters whose ancestry traces back to the Original Duke-Rhoebe-Laverack Cross.” Hence, all Llewellin’s are currently registered via the FDSB separately from English. Although some do breed English to Llewellin, in such cases, the litter must be registered as English Setter with the FDSB and NOT Llewellin. Any such outcrossing of Llewellin lines disqualifies the resulting litters registration as Llewellin with the FDSB.

The above text is taken with permission from Troy Sparks Llewellin Setter Page
DumblikeaFox

Post by DumblikeaFox »

Great info guys, thanks!
Twice Barrel

Post by Twice Barrel »

DumblikeaFox wrote:Those are beautiful dogs and those are some vey classy looking points. In terms of bidable-ness and over all demeanor would you owners classify them as similar to the English setters?

I'm very much a novice to the pointer game and have owned one Britt whose faults were fairly few and all mine. His loss is still painful but I am tempted daily.
Bidable yes but they can develop an independent streak due to a strong prey drive if not brought in at an early age. Extremely loyal and just about everybody's friend making them an excellent family dog. Like most setter breeds Llewellyn's take a bit of maturity to really develop so don't expect too much the first year, however, I did have an exceptional young dog that at 10 months old was quartering at just the right range commensurate with the terrain, pointing and was steady to wing and shot.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Sophie is an 8 week old tri-color Belton out of Lynnhill lines that I got from a small breeder in Virginia last Friday.  

Think this lady will be a fine addition to the family.  Gracie and her have already bonded (for the most part) and Bruce Shaffer at Almost Heaven Kennels in WV has agreed to assist me with training.  Going to be an interesting ride.  

Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

VA, what a beautiful pup. Will she be trained enough to hunt this fall? Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Jim Cloninger wrote:VA, what a beautiful pup. Will she be trained enough to hunt this fall? Jim

Knock on wood yes. She goes to the trainer in June for 30 days. Right now I'm planning Maine in the fall. She will be green for sure, but at least its a target rich environment and she should get plenty of contact with Grouse/Woodcock. She would be 9 months old then.
DumblikeaFox

Post by DumblikeaFox »

Beautiful pup, vaturkey. Good luck with it.....thinking of a Me. or Minn. trip myself this fall.
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

VA, have you started on the Sophie gun yet? Jim
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Jim Cloninger wrote:VA, have you started on the Sophie gun yet? Jim
Not yet. She's got to earn a gun. :)

PS. Never say never, but Abby was my first dog ever and certainly earned her gun. Gracie is a really good dog, but Abby was special. I don't think there will ever be another gun dedicated to one of my dogs but I could change my mind because I do quite often.

Double PS. Sophie heads for the trainer for a month of puppy boot camp early next month. I think I'll have a much better idea of what I have (or don't have) once she returns.
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

I wish Sophie luck. Jim
Mike Connally

Post by Mike Connally »

I have seen Sophie. She's a cutie for sure.
Lots of potential there.