Extractor rim cuts

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Stan Hillis

Extractor rim cuts

Post by Stan Hillis »

How are extractor rim cuts done when a new extractor, which has not been cut for the shell rim, is fitted to a gun? Is it done after the extractor is fitted to the gun by using some type of piloted cutter?

SRH
fullchoke16

Re: Extractor rim cuts

Post by fullchoke16 »

Back in the day, I would guess that they would drill a flat plate and put the groove in with a horizontal boring bar with a single point piece of tool steel ( this is called a fly cut). Then the plate would be sawn in half and you'd have 2 parts. As you suggest, it could also be cut with a piloted end mill but it would be a bugger to hold in position to make the cut. Nowdays you'd do it on a CNC machine.
Recoil is most noticed when I miss
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Maybe Frank will weigh in on this. I am considering ordering a 12 ga. extractor from Jason Barden and fitting it to one of my guns, but most of his don't have the rim cut yet.

SRH
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Stan, I'm happy to help you. PM sent.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Thank you for your reply, fullchoke16. All appreciated.

SRH
gilrussell

Post by gilrussell »

Stan et al: Any barrel guy can do that--Mike Orlen in Mass. or Dean in Oklahoma are two guys I have used. Gil
Too much of a good thing is....wonderful. M. West