Laser welding work - what can be done

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Silvers

Laser welding work - what can be done

Post by Silvers »

Just to show what can be done with laser welding. The “filler rod” was C 1045 steel. I posted these pics once before and wrote that the welding outfit was not soliciting gunsmithing type work. But despite that I had many requests for the contact info. PLEASE once again, no requests for that info which I’ll have to decline - it's not my choice to do that. But with all said your gunsmith should be able to find a professional laser welder if you need similar work done.

Last edited by Silvers on Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fullchoke16

Re: Laser welding work - what can be done

Post by fullchoke16 »

Frank, is the brass round stock in the third photo used as a contact point for the welder or something more mysterious? Also, is the fixture in the fourth picture a radius gauge or does it have another purpose? This procedure is very interesting. Fred
Recoil is most noticed when I miss
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Fred, I taped brass rods to the ribs to act as heat sinks but as it turned out the welding tech relayed, they were totally unnecessary. Notice the yellow electrical tape isn't melted at all. A very COOL procedure. :wink: The fixture in the 4th pic is a mandrel of sorts for the draw filing, to prevent the files from cutting/rounding the sharp corner at the muzzle. I'm sure you know the blue coloring is dykem. Frank
fullchoke16

Post by fullchoke16 »

Thanks Frank. Now I get what's going on there. Good idea on the muzzle fixture. At this end of PA, up near my camp, there is a micro weld company in Meadville. I'm going to check them out this summer and find out what all they can do on firearms and maybe get a look at the equipment and what is involved in the process. Like most of us, I find the restoration of our old double guns most interesting.
fullchoke16

Post by fullchoke16 »

One more question, do you need to bead blast the pits to remove all rust or does the weld pull the slag to the surface?
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Fred, good luck on checking out the place in Meadville. The first pic shows the barrel as shipped. Second and third as returned. I wasn't there during the welding so I don't know for sure, but I don't see any evidence of bead or abrasive blasting. Thus I'm assuming the laser process vaporizes the oxide (rust), or rust was ground out first using a tiny burr and a die grinder, or maybe even scratched out with a sharp pin or similar. I do know the laser welding is done under a strong optical magnifier. :D