Complete disassembly - Sterlingworth

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Dblgnr

Complete disassembly - Sterlingworth

Post by Dblgnr »

I think I have gone through the items here. The tab on removal of the buttstock is great info and worked for me. I want to do the entire gun, including completely disassembling the action components to rid the gun of many decades of accumulated grunge. Removal of attached barrel components was straightforward. Removing the safety slide was also simple. The trigger plate and triggers have been dismantled and cleaned up and re-assembled with relative ease. I'm now staring at an unfamiliar action group and don't want to inadvertently damage anything or lose some small part not knowing it may take flight as fast as a flushing rooster. I'll be shooting pheasants with it this fall and want it's re-introduction to the field to be a good experience, mostly for me - recognizing that a gun is truly an inanimate object but...... :)

The gun is a 32" ejector model. One ejector was warped which has now been straightened so that both slide well.

Any instructions or reference to some source will be appreciated. I did see a reference on the forum to "McIntosh's book" Can I get a bit more info on that book please.

I do have proper tools to do the job, just need a proper sequence to follow.

Thanks for any forthcoming assistance.

Jack
Fin2Feather

Re: Complete disassembly - Sterlingworth

Post by Fin2Feather »

There are full pictorial instructions; go to the home page under the "mechanisms" tab.
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
Dblgnr

Post by Dblgnr »

Thanks. Unless I'm missing something, the instructions under Mechanisms/Disassembly show how to remove the stock and the instructions and pictures are perfect. This does leave you with sears in hand. I followed that to the letter but I don't see yet how to completely disassemble the rest of the action - remove top lever, remove hammers and all springs and whatever else is in there. Have I missed somewhere under "Mechanisms" that shows the "how to" for that? My good wife often tells me "You look but don't see". Have I done that here?

Thanks again for your time.

Jack
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

Jack,

Just my opinion but unless you think there is a problem with the top lever, hammers and such, I would not try to remove them. Just clean them up the best you can.

You've got the stuff that comes out and goes back in with relative ease, I would be satisfied with that.

Jolly
Twice Barrel

Post by Twice Barrel »

Jolly has it right. Disassembly of the hammers, ejector sears, and top lever mechanism can get a bit tricky and is best left to a good Fox Smith. If you think that you need to clean and re-lubricate the inside of the receiver flush the inside of the assembled receiver with break or carburetor cleaner and a stiff brush. Once you are satisfied all of the gunk is out of it drench the cleaned areas with a good protective lubricant such as breakfree making sure everything gets re-lubricated, wipe off the obvious excess and re-assemble. Your old Fox will be ready for another 70 to 80 years of good service.
Dblgnr

Post by Dblgnr »

Thanks for the replies gents. Starting to get an itchy trigger finger. Pheasant season is still 10 weeks hence but it seems every year about this time the air has an old familiar scent to it that puts me in mind of roosters for dinner. I'll have to pass this gun along before the 70-80 years expires. I see, God willing, another decade of hunting for this old bod'
Cheers,
Jack
tony williamson

Post by tony williamson »

Ive disassembled a fox or two from scratch, its not altogether easy. The top lever post has a peened screw in it you have to grind off to remove. Best to clean it semi assembled.
fox shooter

Post by fox shooter »

I took both of mine apart down to the hammers and soak all the metal in a solution called "Ed's Red" for a day. Blow out the receiver , wipe off the parts, lube and assemble. I coat moving parts with G96 then wipe.
Chris