Fox Sterly 20/Part Question

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
gilrussell

Fox Sterly 20/Part Question

Post by gilrussell »

I a m restoring a Fox Sterlingworth 20. I find the cocking slide, the part that is spring loaded and sits beneath the barrel flats to recock the hammers, is cracked. Is this part interchangeable for all gauges? One source does not specify gauge so I am thinking they would be, with some minor fitting. Thank you. Gil Tucson AZ 520.760.8853
Too much of a good thing is....wonderful. M. West
bbman3

Re: Fox Sterly 20/Part Question

Post by bbman3 »

Gil the new old stock cocking slides have to be fitted and using a used one usually has to be refitted.I believe they interchange within all gauges.New ones need to be cut to correct length. Bobby
gilrussell

Post by gilrussell »

Bobby: I was going to contact you on the other board. I wanted to thank you for your help with the stock. I have it pretty well inletted now; the buttstock is good and the forend could have been better. Next to profile. Donnie did a good job on the semi inletting and would use him again, slow but good wood and good inletting.

As far as these parts, the existing one is well hardened. I think a replacement used one would have to be annealed first and later rehardened? I cannot tell for sure but it seems to be hard all the way through, especially the shoe that interfaces with the cocking lever on the hammers. The part that is cracked is one side that fits in the groove to function as a slide. Gil
Too much of a good thing is....wonderful. M. West
bbman3

Post by bbman3 »

Gil I have installed new ones and they seem to be pretty hard.I cut them off with my dremel and square up with file.It usually takes me several hours to fit one.Never seen one cracked.Might be good to harden slide after fitted. Bobby
SUPERBLAKED

Post by SUPERBLAKED »

Does anyone have access to replacement cocking slides?