Illustrated Fox Disassembly (~260 kb)

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
mike campbell

Illustrated Fox Disassembly (~260 kb)

Post by mike campbell »

This is my procedure for removing the stock from a Fox.

A magnetic parts tray is a convenient way to keep track of stuff. A screwdriver (I prefer a magnetic stubby for this work) with the proper size hollow gound bits is absolutely essential and Brownells is an excellent source. I use a 0.120â€
Last edited by mike campbell on Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abner

Post by abner »

Thank you Mike:

I have read these steps over the years a dozen times, but this is the first time I have seen the pictures. This is just great, I learn by seeing and hearing and this is the first time I have seen it. Have you thought about putting this into a book? Maybe the group could get a Fox manual for dummies printed. Are you a teacher? If not, you should be. Thanks for taking the time to help all Fox owners now and in the future.
Ralph
mike campbell

Post by mike campbell »

Abner,

My pleasure. :wink:
Been meaning to do it, just waiting for a reason to take one apart. Winter now; time to retouch some finishes.
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Mike great job, can I added it to the permanent content on the web site? Thanks Craig
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Mike, a wonderful visual aid. I went through it step by step and it's right on. The screwdrivers and drift pin are so important. I'm glad you specified them so well. I wish something like this was out there when I took the stock off my first Fox about 25 years ago. Yikes! Time sure does fly. Frank
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Mike, you have done many many of us a tremendous service!!!!....great text, great pix!!!! Your visuals are top notch. THANKS! Marshfellow
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
66fordking

Post by 66fordking »

This is what we all come for to better understand! thanks well done and keep up the great work. 66fordking
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

Thanks much, Mike! I've never had my Foxes apart; not that I feared I couldn't do it. but just afraid I'd get in the middle of it and not be able to figure something out, and render the gun unusable until I got some help. I feel much more confident with your pix, etc. Thanks again!
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
mike campbell

Post by mike campbell »

Craig;

Sure you can, I'd be flattered.

Fellas,

Thanks for the kind words; I'm glad it may be helpful. I will say, in principle it's a pretty simple task and, other than losing a small part, you're not likely to get in a real bind. Your biggest concern should be for chipping/damaging the wood. I'm more a wood guy than a mechanic and a large portion of my confidence comes from my experience at finishing/repairing the wood should I slip up. The greatest risk is in removing a stock that hasn't been off in the last 30 years or possibly ever. The wood comes to a very thin edge along the sides of the top tang and maintence oiling over the years can essentially glue it to the metal.
Lucky for me, my first disassembly is usually because I'm starting a restock anyway.
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Mike Thanks I published your instructions here is the page http://foxcollectors.com/disassembly.htm
I set up a hyperlink from the main index page. Thanks again, very nice job.
bamboozler

Post by bamboozler »

Give me an "M"...give me an "I"...give me a "K"...give me an "E"

What's that spell?...MIKE!

Mike, Mike, he's our man, if he won't do it, we all can! :D :D

Thanks for the great tutorial Mike!
baydog

Post by baydog »

Thanks so much, this is just what I needed, I have read the process several times, but still had small parts flying all over the shop pictured in my head. This will also help some of us who are not sure of all the names of the parts on the gun, but can now be sure we are removing the right parts.
FRBRIT

Post by FRBRIT »

Great Job Mike!! Thanks for taking your time to do it!

This is a great addition to the site!

Paul
Life Member A.H. Fox Collectors Association Inc.
jmc

Post by jmc »

Mike this is an excellent addition to all of the other greatly appreciated advice and guidance I have received from some of the other great folks on this site (Silvers comes to mind!). Step 7 is especially helpful as I recently opened up 2 SW's w/out removing the trip pin as shown and probably just got lucky that I did not lose either of them. Thank you for such a thorough explanation and much needed visuals.

Best,

jmc
birdawg

Post by birdawg »

Mike,
That is excellent. When I get back from quail hunting in the southwest it will be very handy.
"I have more than I need, but not as many as I want"
"The search continues on many fronts"
Life Member, A.H. Fox Collectors Association.