custom engraving questions

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
jakl

custom engraving questions

Post by jakl »

I have an HE that's already had the stocked replaced with a nicer wood. I'm considering having engraving done to take it to XE level or beyond. I'm assuming this would increase the value of the gun, but it won't be worth what I put into it. Like restoring an old car. Do you agree? What's a ball park cost of doing this?...........thanks
bamboozler

Re: custom engraving questions

Post by bamboozler »

I agree of your assessment of adding engraving. Geoffroy Gournet estimates $3000 for XE engraving. I would imagine that prepping and polishing of your HE would be in addition to the $3K.
http://www.gournetusa.com/pricelist.htm
jakl

Post by jakl »

thanks, I'll check in with him, he's not far from me.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

You should get the order card on your gun before you modify if further. You can also look at the "members only" section of this website for more information and look at the pictures of "Custom Foxes" for more suggestions about engravers. What is the serial number of your HE? It may be a rare one. By the way, who stocked your HE?
jakl

Post by jakl »

I have the card. The card's tough to read, but I can see it's half-pistol, which is what it is now. It's a very nice stock that's on it now. I'm pretty sure nicer than the standard wood an HE would have based on pics on the internet. I'm not sure about the dimensions matching. The serial # is 28262. I don't know who restocked it. I got it about 10 years ago from Chaddick's. It was restocked then. At the time they said they thought it had been restocked. Dewey worked on it and said it was not original. I plan on getting the factory letter. Hopefully I'll take the time to start that during the holidays. I've checked out the custom page and liked what I saw. The Super on RIA in 2010 had x engraving, but I think it was not on the card. Seeing the price on that got me thinking as did the XHE at RHO. What are your concerns about further change?...................thanks