Drawbolt?

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Researcher

Re: Drawbolt?

Post by Researcher »

No. But, all the Fox-Sterlingworths I've recorded in the 160xxx and 161xxx serial number range are 26-inch barrel guns, except one two-barrel set that also has a 28-inch barrel.
Share the knowledge
SAS

Post by SAS »

I am curious as to what percentage of 12 ga. Sterlingworths were produced with 26" barrels? I realize that only an estimate can be speculated. Also, do the 26" barrels command any type of premium (all things being equal)? The vast majority of Sterlingworths I have encountered are 28 and 30" guns.
mhead

Post by mhead »

Thanks researcher for the info. I also have noticed on all of my utica guns have what looks like a buff line on the sides of the actions right above the roll stamp but on the early transition guns i have they don't have that line they are like the Philly guns. Is it likely that those. guns were done in Philly for savage. before. they moved even though they have the utice matkings.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Most likely parts that were in-work in Philadelphia and completed at Utica. From what I've read the move and set up in Utica took place pretty quicky after the sale and they were in operation in Utica before mid-1930. Not like Remington continuing to build Parkers in Meriden for three years before moving to Ilion.
Share the knowledge
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

It's interesting the cross-overs one sees; my three Sterlingworths are all Utica guns; the 20 and the 16 have capped pistol grips and larger Savage-style forends and top levers. My 12 gauge, which is the latest gun of the three, has an uncapped pistol grip and Savage-style forend but a Philly style top lever. I guess there was one languishing at the bottom of the parts bin.
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Also, of possible interest to a few, almost as many of those late 26-inch barrel 12-gauges in the 160xxx and 161xxx serial number range have their right barrel roll-stamped STERLINGWORTH FLUID COMPRESSED STEEL as have them roll-stamped SPECIAL ALLOY -- FORGED STEEL. Likewise, from about 1935 to the end it seems it was a total crap shoot as to whether one got a capped or the capless pistol grip stock.
Share the knowledge
mhead

Post by mhead »

Thanks again researcher for the info very interesting. I like studing the foxs thanks for you're knowledge .