Looking for wood

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
mikeborden

Looking for wood

Post by mikeborden »

Subject says it.

Long story short, I bought a later A and the stock is hosed and needs to be replaced. That is coming from the gunsmith/stockmaker. He says he has a blank in stock that would halfway match the fore-end. However, I thought about replacing the whole thing with a blank that I could pick.

Any of you have any ideas of where to look? I'm willing to spend about 400 bucks or so on the blank.
Also, I'm not sure of what type of wood would be best for a Later style A.

Mike
Twice Barrel

Re: Looking for wood

Post by Twice Barrel »

Medium fancy English walnut would be most appropriate for a Savage era A grade. I haven't bought any wood for years but a Yahoo search turns up a whole bunch of sources. Remember that most of your cost will be for the labor involved with shaping, in-letting, finishing and checkering which can be substantial when compared to the cost of the wood.
dennyibrandt

Post by dennyibrandt »

Cecil Fredi Las Vegas has what you need. Dennis Brandt 608 604 6040.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

hunterbid.com has lots of wood.
bbman3

Post by bbman3 »

Make sure wood is seasoned properly and dry.Cecil would be a good choice to buy blank from. Bobby
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

I believe Wenig has 95% inletted wood for Foxes.
NeilC

Post by NeilC »

Watts Walnut is another good source for blanks: http://www.wattswalnut.com/
Neil
Student gunsmith
http://guns.claasen.us/
mikeborden

Post by mikeborden »

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I filled out the form on Cecil's website and got a response back from what looks like his wife saying he will be out of town until next week, which is fine with me.

I'll see what he has to offer while I'm going over the other sites suggested here.

Mike