super fox 20

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
mhead

super fox 20

Post by mhead »

What weight barrels were normally offered on the super 20s. Thanks for any info
jolly bill

Re: super fox 20

Post by jolly bill »

My HE 20 gauge SN 202290 has no visible barrel weight markings on it. It has 32" barrels and the gun weighs 8 pounds 5 ounces. It has 2 1/2 inch chambers.

There is a "1" on the underside of the right barrel way forward from where you would typically find the barrel weight markings, near the lug. I can get a picture or two tomorrow if that will help. Let me know.

Jolly
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

Here's a couple pictures of HE20 202290. Appears to be no barrel weight markings where you would expect them to be. Just that "1" up near the lug.

Any other HE20's out there with markings?

Jolly

scaupman

Post by scaupman »

Mr. Jolly,

Very nice - a beautiful specimen - thanks for posting the photos!

I see it has the "barrels not guaranteed" stamping.

If you have the factory card to your gun, it would be great if you would post it also as I have not seen a card for a super 20.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

The weight chart in McIntosh's book would be some help in identifying the barrel number.
loggy

Post by loggy »

Jolly,
What a beautiful Super. Thanks for sharing your photos. John
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Serial number 202290 has the heaviest weight for a 20-gauge HE-Grade Super-Fox in the record cards as 8 pounds 4 ounces. Most are recorded in the 7 pounds 10 ounce to 7 pounds 14 ounce range. A few were obviously built on the regular frames with weights in the 6 pounds something to 7 pound range.
Share the knowledge
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

I have #202124 with a "1" on the right barrel like Jolly's
Mike
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

Scaupman: Yes, it has the "barrels not guaranteed" notation on the barrel flats. Several years ago the most gracious Billy Harris sent copies of the cards for the graded guns I have (if he had the cards).
Not much on the copy of the card for 202290 that I have. Just the SN, grade, bbl length (32), drop at heel (2 3/4), stock length (14 1/8) and "Full Pistol". Something on the bottom that I can't decipher. That's it. May be more on the back or may be more info on the card that never copied (too light?)

John/Loggy: Glad to share the pix. How is that nice CE 12 Live Bird gun working out for you and Ben? Very good, I'm sure.

Researcher/Dave: Thanks for the info on the weight for the heavy old girl. It is heavy. I've had it in our woods behind our house a couple times since turkey season opened May 1st. Hoping to dust one with a 2 1/2 inch RST #5's. Luckily, not much walking, mostly sitting on a padded seat. If there is more info on the copy of the card you have, I would be happy to use my free lookup for 2013 to have it copied here.

MikeR: So no barrel weights marked on your HE20 either? How heavy is your gun? 32 inch bbl's? Chamber length?

Jolly
mhead

Post by mhead »

Thanks for the pictures that answered my question . the one I'm looking at is the same way . i couldn't see any weight numbers and that got me wondering . What would the number one be for. thanks for all the info fellows .
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

I suspect that the "1" that's marked on that part of the barrel is not very common. Interesting that MikeR has that mark on his earlier HE20. May be used to designate a particular step or inspection on the HE20's? None of my other Fox'es have that mark.

Anyone else seen that mark on Fox'es they own or have seen? Any guesses?

Jolly
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

Jolly: one of our Fox experts pointed out that the "1" stamp indicates the 1 weight barrel the heaviest and correct for the Super Fox 20g.
My 20 is chambered 2 1/2 " with 30" barrels full/full. Weight for the 20g is 7lbs 10oz.
Mike
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

Hi Mike,

A very reasonable explanation for the "1" mark on that part of the barrel.

Your 7# 10 oz HE 20 is no light weight either. And 30 inch F & F with 2 1/2" chambers. How she shoot?

I pattterned mine a few weeks ago. Both barrels real tight at 25 yards. Very suitable for turkey's, at least that's my plan if I'm somewhat successful. No turkey's again this morning. Just some deer.

Jolly
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

Jolly: really tight and dead on. The last time I used her hunting on an open creek in 6 degree temperature and snowing with mallards locked up over decoys. I had bismuth shells and did well.
Mike
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

Atta boy Mike.