Custom 20 Ga SW Project in Future?

Use this area to post pictures of you favorite Fox custom project or share information about custom projects. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Researcher

Re: Custom 20 Ga SW Project in Future?

Post by Researcher »

From 1937 --

From 1951 --

1905 UMC --

Share the knowledge
mike campbell

Post by mike campbell »

Researcher,

Thanks for those ads. Kinda neat that they used practically the same text to describe the brush load 14 years later.

BTW, I know I've seen a cutaway illustration of Remington's scatterload with the 3 disks, but don't have one. Maybe I saw it on the box and not in a brochure? Can you post a pic?
Beware the man with one gun...he likely will bore you to death in others ways, too.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Mike, I have seen the three discs, but not the X wad in the Winchester shell. The three discs would be a pain to load at home, impossible on a PW 800B. The PC Post loads on a PW 800B just like a regular wad because there is a hole in the wad ram.
mike campbell

Post by mike campbell »

Bill,

I was thinking of the 3 disc scenario just for historical reference. I don't think it would hold a candle to just about any other version of spreader. I did try a few of those post wads (never fattened the post as you do), along with the X chambers, and a piece of soda straw. They all worked to some extent, but I settled on the Polywad Spred-R disc with 1/8 ounce loaded on top.

When you think about it, it's not surprising that setting off an explosion and throwing 400 pellets in the air gives a pretty pretty random result. Choke boring, followed by the shot cup, did a pretty amazing job of giving us some control of that helter-skelter event... virtually all patterns have a center core. Then, we go and add something to disrupt that center core. The layering technique ( 1/16, 1/8, 3/16 ounce on top of a Polywad disc) seems to offer some "control" of that core disruption. My spreaders....

LOVE those clear hulls!

I think we're in agreement that an evening spent making a season's worth of spreaders is not a high price to pay. I've never used a PW, but it sounds pretty convenient for use with the post wad. I load the PW discs on my 9000G and, whereas a regular box of shells requires 3 minutes to load, I can load a box of spreaders in 4 minutes.
Beware the man with one gun...he likely will bore you to death in others ways, too.
Jay

Post by Jay »

I too confess to owning a tarted up SW. I too would not have it any other way, as it is not only purty, but I can occasionally hit something with it. Where I part with Mike is this beaver pond talk. I do hope that Mike decides to toss that beauty my way when he retires, to hell with the beavers! :D
Dalgo

Post by Dalgo »

Mike, not to get away from the subject, that picture is absolutely beautiful! The composition, lighting, arrangement, etc. is stunning.

Dalgo.
A fox is more a fox from experience, than because it is a fox.
mike campbell

Post by mike campbell »

Well, thanks for the kind words, Dalgo! I do enjoy putting together still life pics.
Dalgo

Post by Dalgo »

It shows. Well done!

Dalgo
A fox is more a fox from experience, than because it is a fox.
Vol423

Post by Vol423 »

Regarding spreader loads, I buy RST spreaders and use them in a tight-choked 16GA Fox A grade to good effect. I find that I shoot the right barrel three to one over the left barrel, so the next time I order a few flats, it will be all spreaders. I have enough regular ammo in all shot sizes to last quite a few years for the left barrel.