Unique C grade Fox from 1910??

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
CaliHunter

Unique C grade Fox from 1910??

Post by CaliHunter »

Hello everyone, glad I stumbled onto this awesome forum and collectors club! I recently went to estate sale and got my hands on a C grade Fox that from my research, was built in 1910. It has a very unique beaver tail forearm that looks to have some sort of fiberglass inlay that could have been a repair or a completely new and custom stock...we are unsure. The gun has 30 inch barrels and is a 12 gauge.The right barrel is pretty rusted from laying in a case, but this is the only cosmetic flaw in the gun, I am unsure if this is repairable or worth repairing? It does have automatic ejectors. Also, the gun has a rib on it...I haven't seen any other C Grades similar in this aspect online? Here are some pictures, including the serial code, and I was hoping for some sort of knowledge about the stock and a rough estimate of its worth? Ive yet to see a gun that had a similar stock, but Ive seen a few other C grade guns for sale at around 3500-6000 dollars? Thank you all very much for the help!

Attachments
PCAMB Logo.jpg
PCAMB Logo.jpg (156.62 KiB) Viewed 2913 times
fullchoke16

Re: Unique C grade Fox from 1910??

Post by fullchoke16 »

From what i can see, it appears that your CE was highly modified (stock, recoil pad, safety and rib) for trap shooting. Due to these changes and the rust damage, I wouldn't really want to hazard a guess as to value. Looks like it could be a fun piece to shoot though.
Recoil is most noticed when I miss
loggy

Post by loggy »

A 356 and a ce fox, what fun!
DGKaas

Post by DGKaas »

And both rusty... :shock:
loggy

Post by loggy »

I predate the 356 but not the fox. I'm feeling a bit rusty myself.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Breaks my heart to see a graded Fox with rust that bad on it. Nothing but neglect, plain and simple.

Stan
abner

Post by abner »

Because of the rust damage to the barrels and the modifications to the gun, the value will be well below the $3500-6000 you mention. I would think something below $1000--that is just my opinion, others here may have different ideas of value. I would have a gunsmith measure the barrels before you try shooting the gun.
Ralph
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

abner wrote:Because of the rust damage to the barrels and the modifications to the gun, the value will be well below the $3500-6000 you mention. I would think something below $1000--that is just my opinion, others here may have different ideas of value. I would have a gunsmith measure the barrels before you try shooting the gun.

What he said times 2. I feel the barrels are compromised to the point where I probably isn't safe to shoot.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

I would be interested to see the other items that sold at that estate sale. Unfortunately, there is not much to salvage of this gun. It would be a fun long term project for someone who can build a new stock and forearm. I think these piggyback ribs can be removed with some effort.