Engraver William H. Gough

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
scaraj

Engraver William H. Gough

Post by scaraj »

Has anyone ever seen a photo of Gough? I have a photo from 1907 of the men in the engraving department at Meriden Fire Arms and am wondering if he or John Gough happen to be in the photo.

Based on the work he has done for the various manufacturers I wonder if he has turned up in a photo.

Here is the Meriden photo...

DGKaas

Re: Engraver William H. Gough

Post by DGKaas »

Bill Gough is not in that photo as far as I can tell. He was at Parker in 1907, I believe. There are a number of photos of him about. Bill Headrick wrote an article in DGJ about a Fox Gough engraving. (there is a mistake in that article that states Bill Gough was involved in the affairs of the Philadelphia Gun Club, he was not). The Parker Story has a similar photo showing the Parker engraving dept. that shows Gough.
cargie32

Post by cargie32 »

If you can find a copy of "The Sporting Goods Dealer", Febuary 1920, you will find a picture of him on page 61. Good luck fnding it.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

A great post from our late friend, Cargie32.
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Hmmmm, that one post that Murph mentions sure has me scratching my head....

Don /anyone , was the Philadelphia Gun Club a separate entity from the Philadelphia Shooting Academy??

tjw
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
DGKaas

Post by DGKaas »

The Philadelphia Gun Club founded in 1877 and at its current location since 1894 had no connection with Gough or Ansley Fox (nor any of the A.H. Fox Gun Co board members I am familiar with). None are recorded as having visited the Club. Nash Buckingham (and Bo Whoop) did in 1927 with Hal Sheldon as guests of member, Eltinge Warner, publisher of "Field & Stream". The only gunmaker I could find a record of visiting was Harry Lawrence, MD of Purdeys in the late 1950s.
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Thanks Don. Apparently the two were separate entities.

tjw
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty