Another Fox A Grade

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Todd G

Another Fox A Grade

Post by Todd G »

I just found an old A.H.Fox 16 guage at a sale. I don't know much about it other than the guy who sold it to me thought it was a .410 and had been in his closet for 30 years after he inherited it from his father in law. The serial number is 3022XX. What's something like this worth? It does have some pitting on the reciever and the stock looks like it was used quite a bit.

http://picasaweb.google.com/TGreenhagen/AHFox
Last edited by Todd G on Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

Ain't gonna be a .410; Fox never made 'em! Couldn't get the link to work.
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
Todd G

Post by Todd G »

I couldn't get the picture to come up. Try the link.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

The pictures worked for me. It looks like a wonderful, all original, low mileage but neglected Philadelphia A Grade with some surface rust on the receiver and some chipping of the finish on the wood. This is a real screamer of a shooting gun. Go very carefully removing the rust from the receiver because every speck of case hardening colors removed with the rust will decrease the value of the gun by about $100 and there are lots of specks of case colors left.
Todd G

Post by Todd G »

How do yo go about removing the neglect on the reciever and stock withouthurting the value? (A true beginner here)
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

I'm real conservative about it. I usually use 10W30 on a T-shirt or 400 steel wool rubbed aggressively, then "hunt" the rest of it off. I am in the process of "hunting" tarnish and light rust off of several double guns as we speak.
Mark Copeland

Post by Mark Copeland »

Todd,

I would place value in current state between $1,750 and $2,250 retail. Wholesale $1,250 to $1,750. Hope this helps and let us know if your successful in your bid.

MC

1928 CE Fox 16
Todd G

Post by Todd G »

I already purchased the gun. It sure is purdy! What exactly is "hunting". I'm assuming it's going after each spec individually.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

No, Todd, "hunting the rust off" is putting the setters or pointers in the car, driving to an area that holds birds, and carrying the gun for miles each day for many days in a season. Of course, I'm getting a little old to hunt too much more tarnish off my project guns, but it has always worked in the past. The 10W30 on 400 steel wool may get results a little faster. Good luck with your fine new gun.
Todd G

Post by Todd G »

OK, last question. I promise!

What shells can I shoot through the old girl? Can she take modern rounds?
FRBRIT

Post by FRBRIT »

Mark,

I'd sure like to find some A-grade 16's at the prices you posted. From what I've seen lately most small bore sterlingworths are drawing prices like you posted.

I'm not picking on you just wondering if your holding out on some good stuff at great prices?

Paul
Life Member A.H. Fox Collectors Association Inc.
Mark Copeland

Post by Mark Copeland »

Paul,

No, not holding out. It seems 16 AE were selling at the prices I mentioned just earlier this year, I must be dreaming. :roll:

1928 CE Fox 16
Mark Copeland

Post by Mark Copeland »

It's not a 16 but it does represent a more realistic pice point. If you look hard enough you can still find decent deals.

3190 $2,875.00 *OUTSTANDING AH FOX A GRADE DOUBLE BARREL SHOTGUN. SN 27358. Cal. 12 ga. 30" bbl FULL/FULL with 2-1/2" chambers with std fox rib with two beads. Gun has standard splinter forend, dbl triggers, extractors and round knob pistol grip stock with vintage Hawkins pad having 14-1/2" length of pull. Bore diameter: left-.728, right-.728. Bore restrictions: left-.036, right-.036 . Wall thickness: left-.036, right-.041 . Drop at heel: 2-3/4" , drop at comb: 1-1/2". Weight: 7lbs 11oz. CONDITION: Very fine. Bbls retain nearly all original blue with only a couple of very minor scratches. Receiver retains nearly all of its original case colors with just a little thinning at the balance point. Both forend and butt stock retain fine, original finish with only minor handling marks. This is truly an outstanding early A-grade Fox. Mechanics are crisp. Bore is bright and shiny. 4-59850 BT2 (2,500-4,000)

1928 CE Fox 16