Skeet with a Sterlingworth S&U

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Ithaca33

Skeet with a Sterlingworth S&U

Post by Ithaca33 »

I recently joined a new gun club that has combination skeet/trap fields as well as 5 stand and sporting clays. Having previously only shot trap and a few rounds of sporting I grabbed some AA extra lite shells and brought out my 12ga Skeet and upland as well as my regular target gun. I didn't keep score but I was MUCH more proficient with the Sterly and had a glad shooting it. I'm full on ready to sell off my O/U's and auto loaders and just shoot sxs for everything!!

Picking up a press and some IMR PB so I can load up some nice lite target loads and keep having fun with the Sterly!
fox-admin
Site Admin

Re: Skeet with a Sterlingworth S&U

Post by fox-admin »

Great story, enjoy you new toy and have fun reloading. Thanks Craig
Ithaca33

Post by Ithaca33 »

The biggest surprise for me was how naturally the double triggers were for me. It was smooth and automatic.
Twice Barrel

Post by Twice Barrel »

"I'm full on ready to sell off my O/U's and auto loaders and just shoot sxs for everything!!"

You have set your path on a long and winding road. Welcome to the Forum. Now you need a 16 gauge and you will be hooked for life.
bbman3

Post by bbman3 »

And a 20 Gauge! Bobby
Ithaca33

Post by Ithaca33 »

Long term goal is to find a Skeet and Upland in both 16 and 20 when I can afford to. I've never found a gun that fit so well or swung so naturally.
mc15426378

Post by mc15426378 »

Patrick, I also have a Skt & Upland 12 which I shoot skeet with. These guns are great for skeet targets but try yours on a round of sporting clays. I did and was surprised at how my 12 performed even on the longer birds.

Just as a suggestion. Get some Claybuster CB-4100 wads and try some 7/8 oz loads in Remington hulls.
Lots of load date on the Hodgdon site. I switched from PB to Clays and have been really pleased with my loads.

Mike
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

The above post sounds right to me only I use Clays powder and the Remington TGT-12S wad in the STS hull with Remington primer. 7/8 ounce of shot at 1200 fps, at about 6300 psi, easy on me and easy on the old 12-gauge Fox-Sterlingworth Ejector Skeet & Upland Game Gun --

Those smallbore Fox-Sterlingworth Skeet & Upland Game Guns come rather dear, though I stumbled onto this 16-gauge that was rather reasonable --

It now has a proper Jostam Anti-Flinch pad, and the malfunctioning single trigger, which didn't letter, has been replaced with double triggers.
Share the knowledge
mc15426378

Post by mc15426378 »

Dave, do your Skt & Upland guns have the short or long trigger guard tangs? My gun has the short tang with a Philly top lever/safety and had an illegitimate pad on it when purchased. She now sports a NoShoc pad.

I've seen Skt & Uplands with a Philly or Utica top lever/safety. Any idea as to why both styles were used....even though some guns appear to have been mfgd late in the Fox time line?

Mike
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Workers reaching into parts bins and pulling out parts. The only Fox-Sterlingworth Skeet & Uplands I've recorded with long backstrap trigger guards are the early 12-gauges in the 1306xx range.
Share the knowledge
Ithaca33

Post by Ithaca33 »

Thanks for the tip on using clays. I may do that after this run (only bought 14oz of PB)