Sterlingworth engraving

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
DaveH

Sterlingworth engraving

Post by DaveH »

I just picked up a 1913 12 ga Sterlingworth, 30"bbls - had been looking for a shooter for clays and this one has good stock dimensions, good barrels, and is mechanically tight. It has been engraved by someone in the distant past (pics below) - I am assuming that this is an early example of a Sterlingworth "upgrade" but I just wanted to see if anyone had seen anything similar.

The things that bothered me about this gun were the buggered screw and associated scratch from the driver skipping across the receiver, but I liked the rest of the gun and the price was good. I guess it would be hard to do anything about the scratch short of a total metal re-finish (which is definitely not in my plans), but I wondered if the Fox screws that Galazan's sells require much fitting or if it's not too much work beyond getting the finish not to stand out too much.

Thanks for any input,

Dave

fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Sure looks original to me! I can't believe the frame was annealed, engraved and re hardened. It looks pretty cool, maybe some type of factory engraving sample?? The problem is you will probably never be able to prove it.
Last edited by fox-admin on Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

I wonder if this is a "lunchbox special"? Extra engraving done by a workman - then assembled from parts outside the factory inspector's oversight? Maybe it's because of the lighting/shadows but both pics showing the sides of the frame have a perceptible gap between the back end of the barrels and the breech face. If the gun is a lunchboxer the barrels may not fit precisely even though they seem to lock down tightly.

You asked about the replacement screws from Galazan. Their heads are oversize and the screw slots have to be "clocked" N-S to look right. Also the head must be profiled to match the contour of the trigger plate. Then engraved. Not too easy unless you have access to a lathe and can do the profiling without scratching the trigger plate. I'd suggest sending the gun to a professional who can do a new screw properly. Silvers
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

I've seen two Sterlingworths like that, and they were both at the old Pennsylvania Gun Collector Association shows at the Expo Center at the Monroeville Mall on the east side of Pittsburgh. That was before my days of recording serial numbers and information on guns of interest, so I never researched them. I started recording Sterlingworth numbers in 1989, so it was before that. I kind of suspected they might have been a special order for some dealer in the Pittsburgh area, just because of where I saw both of them. If you get a letter on this gun, please let us know what you find out.
Share the knowledge
FOXIST

Post by FOXIST »

Wow! Interesting gun. I would have to agree with Foxadmin in that the engraving appears original to the gun. Those walking graver patterns are the same around the borders. Is it possible that that Fox was thinking of adding additional engraving to the sterlingworth in the 1913 era just as the engraving patterns were changing in the graded guns? Maybe this was a factory example. I would take a chance on a letter just to see if it comes back with something out of the ordinary. Like others have said it could be a "Friday " gun or a lunchbox special. I did see a twenty bore with the similar extra engraving about three years ago. at the Allentown Pa. show. Paul
A FOX GETS THE GAME!
Brian

barrel gap?

Post by Brian »

I dont see the gap. Maybe you are looking at the border line on the periphery of the breech end of the barrels. They look tight to me. At first glance that line makes it look like agap but those bareels look right from what I can see. That is unless my eyes are worse.The engraving looks original in the pics but who knows.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

I would definitely order a Callahan letter on that gun. As far as the screw is concerned, I would be peening and repairing it rather than replacing it. What a great gun. I think Silvers is mistaking an added engraving line for an off face condition. I think the gun is locked up tight.
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

Guys - thanks for all of your input. It's interesting to hear that a couple of you have seen guns with similar engraving. The gun definitely locks up tight with no gap between barrels and breech face.

I will request a letter on this gun and let you all know what I find out.

Dave
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

I received the Callahan letter on this Sterlingworth last month. I had sent a couple of photos of the gun with my request, and Mr. Callahan attached a note stating, "Thanks - this is the first Sterlingworth I have seen with the engraving shown."

The records show "no confirming entries for optional engraving..." The gun is otherwise as described in the letter.

The gun was shipped Nov. 29, 1916 to "Merrino - Anderson Co." No address listed. Has anyone heard of this firm?
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Dave: That is a really cool Sterlingworth. To bad the letter said nothing about the engraving. I still believe it was done at the factory and is original. Very nice and rare Sterlingworth. Craig
jclinttex

Re: Sterlingworth engraving

Post by jclinttex »

I recently purchased a 12 gauge Sterlingworth, with exactly the same "upgrade" engraving. It found it in Texas at a gun show in Jan 2012. The serial number shows it to be a 1913 model and it has 30in barrels, non ejector. It is in poor condition, not horrible, but I think I would keep it in original found condition. Will restoration hurt it, any thoughts from the group? I will add pictures if anyone is still active on this topic and would like to see it...
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

At the risk of catching the rath of some who might think otherwise, I'm glad that Fox did not standardize that bit of extra engraving if in fact it is factory. I think it looks awfully ametuerish and am thankful for the late style of engraving found on the higher grades. Still, from a collectors standpoint, I'd buy one if presented with the opportunity but would not pay a premium for it unless someone proved that it was a special run and factory original and therefore a rare variation.
"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
jclinttex

Post by jclinttex »

Thanks for the reply Romac. I agree, the quality of the engraving is less than desired, but it is a Sterlingworth and not a graded gun so it should be spartan. I can't help but think it is factory due to the similarity among the few that have been identified across the country. But, I also agree that without proper verification of a factory testing of "upgrade engraving" possibilities, it will be hard to justify a premium price for these rare sterlingworths. I saw it, offered the guy a "low-ball" price, and he accepted. It is rough but safe and I have shot it several times with the same satisfied elation I have from my other sterlingworths. I didn't know if anyone was still following this post string, but since you did reply, I thought I would post a picture (not the best quality but you can get the idea of the engraving similarity to the 16 posted above). Thanks again for the reply...it helps us all keep the Fox guns alive!
Attachments
Photo on 2012-03-09 at 14.01.jpg
Photo on 2012-03-09 at 14.01.jpg (69.37 KiB) Viewed 4751 times
Scott

Post by Scott »

I have seen a few and and I think it is factory.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck
Jay

Post by Jay »

This is a 16 gauge sw that was for sale at the local sporting goods store some time ago. I recall that the asking price was about a grand. I posted the photos here, believe it was August of 2010, and was advised it was simply an after market engraved gun. Thought everyone might like to see these photos again. The engraving is very similar to that of Dave's gun.