Little 20 Gauge SW Beavertail first grouse

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
vaturkey

Little 20 Gauge SW Beavertail first grouse

Post by vaturkey »

Killed Saturday after two days hunting hard. Typical Grouse hunting in Virginia. Both dog and I ripped to shreds. Bad heel, bad knee and hands and face cut up pretty good. In other words, a pretty good day in the Virginia woods:

PS. Gun is a little Fox SW ejector 20 gauge with stubby 26" barrels and factory beavertail choked full/mod. Better pictures of the gun are in the Sterlingworth section. First Grouse I've taken with it. Was the only bird I shot at all day even though we flushed 11.
fox-admin
Site Admin

Re: Little 20 Gauge SW Beavertail first grouse

Post by fox-admin »

Great picture and great trophy, thanks for sharing. Nice gun and golden! Good to see a golden out hunting, looks like hunting stock.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

fox-admin wrote:Great picture and great trophy, thanks for sharing. Nice gun and golden! Good to see a golden out hunting, looks like hunting stock.

She is indeed a field breed Golden. 62 lbs of muscle and is 2.5 years old. If she turns out to be half the dog of my 12 year old Golden (now semi-retired) she will be super. Just needs more bird contacts, which are somewhat hard to come by in my neck of the woods. Here's a picture of her in New Years eve taken at a local shooting preserve. That's a Parker CH 16 gauge with her.

Image[/QUOTE]
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

I have upland hunted over a few field bred Goldens and they all had great noses and great style. Very happy hard working dogs, much different than the show lines.
The only down side is what they pick up in their coat, it can be a mess.
In the duck blind I will still take my Labs, but the field Goldens come close. Nice picture.
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Beautiful hunting dog, Vaturkey.
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
Jay

Post by Jay »

Real nice pup, Vaturkey, and congrats on the bird. Looks like you earned it. These pics are of my field bred Golden who just passed way to soon, from cancer, at nine. She was a super dog who did it all. I have lost count of the birds that I had surely "missed", only to have her find, and fetch the bird. We now have a GSP, my first pointing dog. Could not have another Golden, as she would always be unfairly compared to our beautiful girl.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Jay, that is/was a beautiful Golden. My old Golden (Abby) is 12 years old. Her hunting days are pretty much past, but she still rolls around and has fun with my 3 year old Golden and can hit the woods for about 20 minutes before her back legs muscles start their spasms. I pity the day when she is no longer with us. The 3 year old is learning, but my Abby was a master beyond compare. She once retrieved a possum for me. A very much live possum. To her fetch meant go get it and bring it back to dad. She can still pick up a uncooked egg and carry it around the house without breaking it. Wish I could clone her, but it wouldn't be the same. Your Golden looked like Abby did when she was young for sure.
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

My first bird dog was a golden, Maggie. This is over 30 years ago in NJ hunting near Brigintine NWR. The limit was one black and back in those days not much else frequented the salt marshes. The salt water made her coat curl up. She was a sweet lady that I still think about to this day. God bless our bird dogs they make life extra nice.
Jay

Post by Jay »

Cool photo. Man, you really had to want to hunt to go out for one duck. Kudos to you and your Golden! Is that an AH Fox O/U? :lol: